[posila] [0.17.38] Crash on startup

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
zifu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[posila] [0.17.38] Crash on startup

Post by zifu »

- Launching from Steam
- Loading bar gets most of the way complete
- Game crashes to desktop with no error message

Windows 10 x64 1803
Steam 1556819158, May 1 2017 17:36:21

Attached is the log file, and a CrashDump from C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\CrashDumps

I'm able to resolve this by exiting Steam, then re-opening and re-launching Factorio. I believe this happened a few times before on 0.17.36 and/or 0.17.37.
Attachments
factorio-dmp.zip
(2.81 MiB) Downloaded 94 times
factorio-current - Copy.log
(3.81 KiB) Downloaded 102 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.38] Crash on startup

Post by posila »

Thanks for the report.
Also extra thank you for including the memory dump, that helped a lot, as the log doesn't contain crash trace due to multiple threads crashing at the same time.

The game failed to allocate memory for decompressing one of the bigger sprite sheets, which is strange given you had 8 GB RAM free when starting the game. I suppose it is due to memory allocations being too fragmented and there are no large consequtive chunks of memory left for the game to use. I have some ideas how we could make sprite loading little bit easier on memory while not making it slower, but it is bigger project, beyond scope of bug fixes.

But for 0.17.39, this situation should be handled more gracefully, potentially allowing the game to finish loading (with decreased speed).

zifu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.17.38] Crash on startup

Post by zifu »

If this happens again after 0.17.39, is there anything else you'd need to help debug the issue?

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”