[kovarex] [0.17.32] Cargo wagon won't open after curve (only pointing North)

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[kovarex] [0.17.32] Cargo wagon won't open after curve (only pointing North)

Post by malventano »

The same section of track was duplicated in a circle. The rear cargo wagon on the train pointing North does not open for loading. All other orientations work as expected. Understood this car has just completed a curve, but the behavior should be consistent regardless of blueprint rotation, else user could make a station blueprint that does not work as expected in only one of four orientations.
2019-03-30-12-16-56.png
2019-03-30-12-16-56.png (3.04 MiB) Viewed 6953 times
*edit* updated to reflect exists in 0.17.32
Last edited by malventano on Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.23] Cargo wagon won't open after curve (only pointing North)

Post by posila »

Thanks for the report.
Can you include the save or at least the blueprint, please?

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

posila wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:01 pm
Thanks for the report.
Can you include the save or at least the blueprint, please?
Apologies for the delay. String is below. I also noticed while creating the blueprint that the train appears incorrectly offset in the blueprint vs. in reality. Appears to be one tile up from where it should be when stopped at the station. This happens with any BP where the train is oriented vertically (if you flip the BP 180 degrees, the train will appear one tile short of the stop instead of one tile past it):
train bp.png
train bp.png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 6884 times
Blueprint string:

Code: Select all

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
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

Visible even from the first screenshot, the rear of the north-facing train is sitting on the curve's tile. Minor/NaB/Won'tFix.

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DaleStan »

Yes, but why is that wagon sitting on the curve tile when none of the other three are? And will it affect the fluid wagon pump attachment system?

EDIT: Fluid wagons are consistent in all four orientations. Not what I expected, but consistent. There are six locations per side where a single pump can be placed to connect to the front fluid wagon, but only five per side where a pump will connect to the rear wagon.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

Actually, that's a valid point, the rear wagon is one tile into the curve in all four orientations.

Have you tested with turns going the other way as well?

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DaleStan »

I just checked clockwise rotation too, and it's the same as counterclockwise. The second cargo wagon on a north-bound train won't open, and only five of the six pump locations work on the second fluid wagon in all four directions.

For what it's worth, if you remove the curved rail under the northbound cargo wagon, it'll open. If you remove the curved rail under the fluid wagons, the pumps still won't connect.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

I assume it's the rearmost position where a pump won't connect?

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by malventano »

Just to be clear with the group here, I'm not trying to argue either way regarding if the northbound train should be able to load the second car in this case. My point is that the behavior should be consistent regardless of direction. If the right answer is that the turn needs to be further back, that's fine, but it should be required for all rotational cases.
Allyn Malventano
---

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.25] Cargo wagon won't open after curve (only pointing North)

Post by TruePikachu »

Yes, it should be a consistent behaviour.

On the topic of the cargo wagons, I know that they should continue to operate in all orientations, and I recall that at one point it was said that the doors should remain closed; as far as I'm concerned, for cargo wagons, this is strictly a graphical difference and could classify this as Minor. It doesn't matter if they're intended to be open or not -- all that matters is that they keep the same behaviour in all four orientations.

On the topic of the blueprinting, since it's a relatively new technology, there are some known issues with it. These issues belong in a separate thread, and are unrelated to the main bug in this thread. (I'm only stating this so all points are covered).

On the topic of fluid wagons, I'm actually surprised that 5/6 pumps are connecting properly, though it seems that some changes might have been made at one point in time to make it so the pumps can better handle slight misalignments (e.g. my friend and I have been able to manually park fluid trains at pumps without going to the end of the track). If the pump that isn't connecting properly is the one on the curve section, however, that portion might be considered NaB (as pumps are intended to only attach to straight segments for train load/unload). However, if it's any other pump that's not connecting, it's inconsistent behaviour again and should be looked into.

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.25] Cargo wagon won't open after curve (only pointing North)

Post by malventano »

TruePikachu wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:29 pm
On the topic of the blueprinting, since it's a relatively new technology, there are some known issues with it. These issues belong in a separate thread, and are unrelated to the main bug in this thread. (I'm only stating this so all points are covered).
Yessir. I posted a separate bug report with a bit more clarity on the BP train alignment issue (here).
Allyn Malventano
---

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DaleStan »

TruePikachu wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:01 am
I assume it's the rearmost position where a pump won't connect?
Yep. From earlier troubles I've had pumps to connect, I expected no positions to work since the wagon isn't entirely on straight rail, but it's consistent.

The only rotational inconsistency I see here is the graphical difference. Which is definitely minor. The inserters work in all four orientations, and the pumps, while unexpected, also work the same way in all four orientations.

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [kovarex] [0.17.32] Cargo wagon won't open after curve (only pointing North)

Post by malventano »

Confirmed still exists in 0.17.32. Posting a reply as this one might have fallen off of the radar (it's been around for a few releases now - since at least 0.17.23).
Allyn Malventano
---

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [kovarex] [0.17.32] Cargo wagon won't open after curve (only pointing North)

Post by sparr »

My other report here viewtopic.php?p=425498 calls out that the train is not exactly sitting on the curve tile, as indicated by that tile being removable.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Yes, it is only a visual thing that has nothing to do with functionality. We basically have only the opening/closing animations for horizontal and vertical directions to save vram. I just changed, that instead of checking (for example) orientation == 0 or orientation == 0.5, I check that orentation is close enough, so the horizontal sprite of the wagon is used.

So lets say it is fixed for the next version.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

kovarex wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:15 pm
Yes, it is only a visual thing that has nothing to do with functionality. We basically have only the opening/closing animations for horizontal and vertical directions to save vram. I just changed, that instead of checking (for example) orientation == 0 or orientation == 0.5, I check that orentation is close enough, so the horizontal sprite of the wagon is used.

I read that as "in 3 of 4 cases it is 0.0 or 0.5 and in 1 of 4 cases it is not but close".
This would still strike me as inconsistent, no?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

dee- wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:30 pm
kovarex wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:15 pm

I read that as "in 3 of 4 cases it is 0.0 or 0.5 and in 1 of 4 cases it is not but close".
This would still strike me as inconsistent, no?
Yes, but I'm well aware what is causing it, I'm not sure if we did explain it in Friday Facts or not, but we have to move the train visually a bit along the rails in certain directions to solve visual problems and make it more clear where the train gaps are. This is a result of that.

boran_blok
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by boran_blok »

You definitely did explain that in an FFF, but I cant really remember which one, it was mainly to deal with the specific perspective used by the game, and this causes some objects to stretch and shrink visually. The gaps were added to make this effect less visually obvious.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”