[abregado][0.17.15] Fueling hint needs better English

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Mike5000
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[abregado][0.17.15] Fueling hint needs better English

Post by Mike5000 »

1333.png
1333.png (23.41 KiB) Viewed 984 times
"Fuel" can be a countable or uncountable noun. Here it is uncountable. I would suggest:
Some structures require fuel which can be inserted directly by taking some in hand then clicking CONTROL + Left mouse button on the target structure.

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.17.15] Fueling hint needs better English

Post by ManaUser »

Personally I'm inclined to think "these" actually refers to "structures that require fuel", and the error instead is a misuse of the word "inserted" to mean "filled". But either way, I agree the current sentence isn't right.

abregado
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [0.17.15] Fueling hint needs better English

Post by abregado »

Good suggestion. Ill look into it.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [abregado][0.17.15] Fueling hint needs better English

Post by Tekky »

As a native speaker of English, I have the following comments:

I agree that the word "these" does not seem appropriate in this context. In my opionion, it would be clearest to simply replace it with the word "fuel". However, since there are different types of fuel, I believe the words "combustible items" would be most appropriate. The word "combustible" could be clarified further by adding wood and coal as examples in parentheses.

I don't see anything wrong with using the word "insert".

However, the words "taking items in hand" seem wrong and confusing to me. In my opinion, "picking up the items into your hand" would be best.

Therefore, I would suggest the following sentence (changes are in bold):
Some structures require fuel to work. Combustible items (e.g. wood, coal) can be inserted directly by picking up the items into your hand and then clicking CONTROL + Left mouse button on the target structure.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”