[abregado][0.17.14] Altered control bindings lead to some incorrect popup instructions (excluding Compilatron?)

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Tallinu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[abregado][0.17.14] Altered control bindings lead to some incorrect popup instructions (excluding Compilatron?)

Post by Tallinu »

Long-time player here. I fired up the new campaign to have a look at it and within the first minute discovered something not quite right. I have changed certain mouse button bindings from the defaults, and while the robot gives me the correct instructions (using the bindings I've assigned), the popup messages that appear on the inventory screen (the ones you have to press Tab to dismiss a bunch of before you can actually try what any of them suggested) gave incorrect instructions.

Specifically, it instructed me to pick up a stack of items from the first piece of ship and put it in my inventory using the right mouse button, but for me that only takes half the stack. The left button takes a whole stack.

I'm one of those people who started way back when the default mouse button bindings matched Minecraft as well as lots of other games (mine and such on LMB, build and open GUI on RMB, hey that even matches how you get a context menu in Windows, amazing) and since I play both games and had played them for a long time already, it made absolutely no sense to try to get used to a control scheme where one of the games suddenly used the exact opposite controls compared to everything else and to previous versions of itself. It would lead to way too much clicking of incorrect buttons, lots of totally unnecessary confusion and frustration. (I've always thought changing the defaults like that, without providing a simple option to select which of the two control styles you'd prefer, was a really bad move, but that's irrelevant here...) So ever since that change happened, I have always swapped those bindings back to the original setup that I've had a long time to get used to and which agrees better with basically everything else.

Looking in the control bindings screen, of all the 13 items that get highlighted when I point at the "reset to defaults" button, the options which I have swapped between left and right mouse button to work more like the original controls (keeping the use of modifier keys like SHIFT the same) are:
  • Mine
  • Build
  • Build Ghost
  • Remove Pole Cables
  • Select for Blueprint
  • Select for Cancel Deconstruction
  • Open Object GUI
The inventory management controls are not among them (I don't think the defaults for those were ever changed), so it's not simply that it's giving the default even if it's been rebound. Perhaps it's reading the "Mine" binding or one of the others instead of the correct "Pick up/drop item stack" binding when displaying those messages? Since they are on the same mouse button when using the defaults, I can see how a mistake like that wouldn't have gotten noticed easily. Or maybe there was some issue with migrating my settings file from the previous version, between key codes and scan codes?

abregado
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [0.17.14] Altered control bindings lead to some incorrect popup instructions (excluding Compilatron?)

Post by abregado »

interesting!
I expected that "pickup item stack" would be using the Build control, but it seems it might be the Open Entity GUI control.
I will look into this. Thanks for finding it.

Tallinu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [abregado][0.17.14] Altered control bindings lead to some incorrect popup instructions (excluding Compilatron?)

Post by Tallinu »

Well neither of those would be the correct button with the way I have them bound. Shouldn't it simply refer to the actual "pick up/drop item stack" binding in the Inventory section, since that can be bound differently from the others (as in my case)...?

abregado
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [abregado][0.17.14] Altered control bindings lead to some incorrect popup instructions (excluding Compilatron?)

Post by abregado »

I think that is the problem, Im just using the wrong keybind name in the localization. Since I only deal with Lua, and not C, I have no way to debug this problem. Thanks for finding that for me :D

wheybags
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by wheybags »

As far as I know, these issues have all been fixed.
If you see any more, please let us know. For now, I will move this to resolved.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”