[Dominik][0.17.12][Mod] Crash after pipe-to-ground fast replace/regular place

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Staplergun
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[Dominik][0.17.12][Mod] Crash after pipe-to-ground fast replace/regular place

Post by Staplergun »

Fast replace pipe-to-ground crash.

Steps:

1.) Load mod and map
2.) Find this:
3.) Fast replace with item "1-to-3 Forward Pipe"
4.) ???
5.) Profit!!
Attachments
MOD TEST.zip
(3.28 MiB) Downloaded 94 times
factorio-dump-current.dmp
(803.04 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
factorio-current.log
(9.74 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
underground-pipe-pack_0.16.66.zip
(5.35 MiB) Downloaded 89 times
Last edited by Staplergun on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Staplergun
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.17.12] Crash after pipe-to-ground fast replace

Post by Staplergun »

Game also crashes if you freshly place the pipe without the other one under it:

Attachments
(790.6 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
factorio-current.log
(9.69 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

Staplergun
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.17.12] Crash after pipe-to-ground fast replace/regular place

Post by Staplergun »

Removing the pipe on the right, then placing the pipe on the left, then the pipe on the right allows it to work without crashing.

Staplergun
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.17.12] Crash after pipe-to-ground fast replace/regular place

Post by Staplergun »

Fast replacing the original pipe (1-to-2) with the pipe (1-to-3) without the pipe on the right does not crash.

Rotating the above pipe shown in the image causes an instant process termination to desktop without bug report.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.12] Crash on rotate again with underground pipes

Post by Recon777 »

I have narrowed down a scenario which reproduces part of the problem.
But note that my example here seems to be SEPARATE from the pure rotation bug where you get a crash by rotating a connection 3 times. Anyway, I have a very simple example below which you should be able to reproduce easily and reliably.

First, set up the following items.

Next, CTRL-R to rotate the underground connections of the 1-2 pipe to ground, in order that it connects to both of the other items.

The situation here is that we have an underground connection flowing along all three items. And the middle pipe has an above-ground connection facing south.

Next, place a 1-3 pipe to ground as illustrated below. This will crash the game. Crash Log

What is going on here is that the 1-3 pipe is severing the existing connection between the center and the south pipes and simultaneously creating a new connection between the 1-3 pipe and the southern pipe WHILE ALSO joining with the pipe whose connection it severed.

I think this is the key because if the aboveground connection was not simultaneously made, it does not crash the game. As seen below.
Image Image

Also, if you do not have the existing connection to the south pipe before placing the 1-3 aboveground connected pipe, and THEN rotate the south pipe so that it makes the connection to the 1-3 pipe, it does not crash the game. See below.
Image Image Image

Note that the final picture above is the exact scenario which WILL crash the game if the 1-3 pipe is placed last. If I were to pick up the 1-3 pipe right now and then replace it again where it was, the game would crash. This is because picking up the pipe reestablishes the original pre-crash scenario with the south pipe connection, which is then broken once I place the 1-3pipe back down.

Note ALSO that if I fast-replace the 1-3 pipe with a Tier 2 1-3 pipe, which is identical except for its maximum length, that it DOES crash the game. I have tested this, and it may account for why Staplergun is getting a fast-replace crash bug in this report.

What is very odd that I don't understand is the fact that if you put a single normal pipe as a buffer, the crash never happens
Image Image

Dominik
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [Dominik][0.17.12][Mod] Crash after pipe-to-ground fast replace/regular place

Post by Dominik »

Oh well, ok. Honestly it has never occurred to me and probably not to anyone that it would be possible to replace different types of pipes to ground :)
Thanks for the detailed reports :)
I found some base game bug I found now but I will get back to this soon.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Dominik][0.17.12][Mod] Crash after pipe-to-ground fast replace/regular place

Post by Recon777 »

Dominik wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:58 am
Oh well, ok. Honestly it has never occurred to me and probably not to anyone that it would be possible to replace different types of pipes to ground :)
Thanks for the detailed reports :)
I found some base game bug I found now but I will get back to this soon.
Excellent. Keep us posted!

Also, I don't think "replace with different type of pipe" is the issue, since in my example, the game can crash with nothing being replaced.

Dominik
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Dominik »

Recon777 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:20 am
Also, I don't think "replace with different type of pipe" is the issue, since in my example, the game can crash with nothing being replaced.
Yes. Which is great. One less level of complexity.
But from what I have seen so far, the problem can be very tricky, it fails in a low level place where problems normally don't occur.

Recon777
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Recon777 »

Dominik wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:04 pm
Recon777 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:20 am
Yes. Which is great. One less level of complexity.
But from what I have seen so far, the problem can be very tricky, it fails in a low level place where problems normally don't occur.
That sounds ominous. :o
I hope the fix doesn't have too many serious ripple effects if it's deep in the code in places you all thought were solid.

Dominik
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Dominik »

Muhehehee it looks like the complicated fix of the other issue solved this one too.
So positive ripple effects. Nice, but rare thing.

Miiohau
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Miiohau »

Dominik wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:44 am
Muhehehee it looks like the complicated fix of the other issue solved this one too.
When did that fix get deployed because I had a similar issue in 0.17.79
I replaced a stone pipe to ground I had marked for upgrade to a ceramic pipe to ground with said ceramic pipe to ground. The game froze and then crashed. Log and dump attached. I tried to attach the most recent save but the server returned a parse error. I have made a local copy of the save in case this is new issue.
Attachments
(870.72 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
factorio-current.log
(188.18 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Miiohau wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:58 am
Dominik wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:44 am
When did that fix get deployed because I had a similar issue in 0.17.79
I replaced a stone pipe to ground I had marked for upgrade to a ceramic pipe to ground with said ceramic pipe to ground. The game froze and then crashed. Log and dump attached. I tried to attach the most recent save but the server returned a parse error. I have made a local copy of the save in case this is new issue.
If you can reproduce this with the latest version of the game make a new report please.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”