[0.7.11] Notice message when saving

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Pfredd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.7.11] Notice message when saving

Post by Pfredd »

I am running 0.17.11. I just upgraded from the current production release.

I am playing the Introduction campaign and when I try to save my game, I get the following error message:

Notice:

File __base__/campaigns/demo/description.json not found (The system could not find the path specified).

I can then actually save the game.

Then, after saving, I get the same Notice message.

tehfreek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.7.11] Notice message when saving

Post by tehfreek »

Your install has stale files. Remove the `data/` directory and re-extract.

Pfredd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pfredd »

I am running on Windows 10 with Steam.

I uninstalled the game, via Steam, and verified that the factorio directory was no longer there.

I then reinstalled, via Steam.

I still get the same message when saving.

It is not limited to the Tutorial campaign. I get the same message when saving a regular game as well.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. This is fixed for the next version of 0.17.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Pfredd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pfredd »

I though it had been fixed in 0.17.12, but I was mistaken.

So... I downloaded the beta release, cleared out the steamapps\common\factorion folder and copied in the new release.

The problem has gone away (but I lost my save files).

However, this indicates that you really can't use Steam to install the experimental releases.

If this is really the case, they probably shouldn't offer the ability to install the experimental releases through Steam.

tehfreek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by tehfreek »

Pfredd wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:49 pm
(but I lost my save files)
That's strange. Save files are stored in a completely different directory.

Pfredd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pfredd »

tehfreek wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:04 pm

That's because, for some reason, the saves are now in the Steam steamapps\common\factorio\saves folder.

Go figure.....

tehfreek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by tehfreek »

Pfredd wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:10 am
tehfreek wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:04 pm

That's because, for some reason, the saves are now in the Steam steamapps\common\factorio\saves folder.

Go figure.....
Uh oh. Sounds like the standalone path config file got included in the Steam download for some reason.

Pfredd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pfredd »

tehfreek wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:50 am
Uh oh. Sounds like the standalone path config file got included in the Steam download for some reason.
No, I installed the standalone download in place of the Steam download, because the Steam download was giving me the error message I noted at the start of this thread.

Sergeant_Steve
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sergeant_Steve »

So... I downloaded the beta release, cleared out the steamapps\common\factorion folder and copied in the new release.
What on EARTH are you doing!?

You have the Steam version of Factorio, so just right click the Factorio entry in your Steam Library, left click Properties, left click on the "Betas" tab and enable experimental updates for 0.17.x and stop messing with files that you shouldn't be doing to begin with! If there's an error message in the Steam version it will be there in the other Windows versions also. Bugs like files missing are EXTREMELY unlikely to affect only one Windows version and not another.

When you download the Zip version of Factorio by default the config path is set to the folder two up from the executable file that is factorio.exe, the beginning of the config path for the standalone Windows version is:

Code: Select all

config-path=__PATH__executable__/../../config
Which means the config file location if you extract the contents of the Zip file to a folder called "Factorio 0.17.12" will be "Factorio 0.17.12\config", that config path has a config.cfg file which sets the read and write locations for Factorio, which means that your saves are then stored in the saves folder in that folder that you extracted to (i.e. "Factorio 0.17.12\saves").

So when you copied the extracted files from the Zip version to where Steam stores Factorio, you changed the write location to be "steamapps\common\factorio" so your saves are then put in "steamapps\common\factorio\saves" rather than the default for Steam which is %AppData%\Factorio\Saves.

Uninstall Factorio using Steam then download it again and that will fix the path issue for your saves and you'll get them back again.

Also since 0.17.12 had already been released when Rseding replied saying "Fixed for the next release" (by just over an hour) that means that the issue will be fixed in 0.17.13.

That said I don't see what the issue is, I just started the Start Campaign/Tutorial and saved it fine without any errors and I have the Steam version on Windows 10. Make sure you haven't disabled the Base Game in the Mod screen if you still get the same error after reinstalling from Steam.

Pfredd
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pfredd »

I have already uninstalled everything and reinstalled through Steam.

Since the error message is just a nuisance, I can put up wilt it till it gets fixed.

Sergeant_Steve
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sergeant_Steve »

I don't get that error message at all, I can save the Start Tutorial Campaign just fine, and I have the Steam version of Factorio on Windows 10 also. Make sure you haven't disabled the Base Mod in the Mod settings screen.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”