[Anton] [0.17.9] Can't scroll through blueprint book on MacOS

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Gullyn
Inserter
Inserter

[Anton] [0.17.9] Can't scroll through blueprint book on MacOS

Post by Gullyn »

While holding a blueprint book I am unable to scroll through the available blueprints with Shift-Scrollwheel Up/Down. I have tried both shift keys and resetting my controls to default. This action worked for me under 0.16.X. I am using MacOS 10.14.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.9] Can't scroll through blueprint book on MacOS

Post by Rseding91 »

If I remember correctly we had this issue in 0.16 as well because MacOS thinks its smart and changes shift + scroll up/down to send scroll left/right and that's simply incorrect.

The game then gets scroll left/right and in 0.16 we just said "left is up, right is down" except that makes actual scroll left/right fail to work.

Basically MacOS is just being stupid and needs to stop changing what keys the physical inputs are doing.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Orlando.Menzel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Orlando.Menzel »

Same here. It worked in 0.16.

Mashtorio
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Mashtorio »

I am encountering this issue as well, and have been since at least 0.17.4 (the first version I upgraded to).

TheBloke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheBloke »

I'm having this problem on macOS (10.14.1 Mojave) as well. I confirmed that I was seeing what RSeding mentioned: that Shift + wheel is mapped to left/right in macOS, and that there's no standard OS way to change this.

This problem is unique to using a mouse; the trackpad is unaffected.

What I did find slightly strange is that if I go to rebind the controls using Shift + Mouse Wheel while using the mouse, the game only ever sees Shift + Mouse Down. It never sees Shift + Mouse Up. So the Control window is able to recognise that I'm holding shift and scrolling the mouse, but it always thinks it's Mouse Down. But this still doesn't help to get this working in-game, even if I use a binding like this:
In the attempt to see if just one direction could work.

I've worked around it by rebinding Blueprint book next/previous and Next/previous clipboard to Alt + Mouse Wheel Up/Down, which works fine on both mouse and trackpad.

I did a bit more research and found the app SteerMouse which allows complete rebinding of mouse actions on macOS. So one can change shift+mouse wheel from going left/right to up and down.

I tried this out and it worked find in general, eg if I now do shift+mouse wheel up in a Firefox browser window, it goes up/down instead of left/right.

But it did not affect Factorio! I still always get "Shift + mouse wheel down" in the Controls window for both directions, and it never works in-game.

This seems to suggest to me that whatever remapping was added for 0.16 (to trap the left/right motion and map it to shift + up/down, as RSeding mentioned) is still in place but is broken for some reason.

In the meantime I'm working around this just by rebinding to Alt (Option as macOS calls it) + mouse up/down. I'd suggest this to anyone else using a mouse in macOS until the devs can find a solution.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

Rseding91 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:17 pm
If I remember correctly we had this issue in 0.16 as well because MacOS thinks its smart and changes shift + scroll up/down to send scroll left/right and that's simply incorrect.

The game then gets scroll left/right and in 0.16 we just said "left is up, right is down" except that makes actual scroll left/right fail to work.

Basically MacOS is just being stupid and needs to stop changing what keys the physical inputs are doing.
Dont change these settings, it will turn your Mac into a PC!

I know im kinda derailing a serious thread with it, and this could be missinterpreted as starting crusade on Apple, but i cant resist.
Thats because i never heared of anything more stupid from Apples side, and im subscribed to Louis Rossmann....

Think different.... :roll:

Now accepting punishment ;)

MarvinCZ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [posila] [0.17.9] Can't scroll through blueprint book on MacOS

Post by MarvinCZ »

I also encountered this problem even in very first 0.17 public version.
I've temporarily remapped this to control + scroll up/down and I am hoping it will get fixed sometimes soon since there was no problem with this on 0.16.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Anton] [0.17.9] Can't scroll through blueprint book on MacOS

Post by posila »

Thanks for the report.
Fixed for 0.17.13

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”