[kovarex] [0.17.x] GUI - map generator's Preview button doesn't fit the text

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[kovarex] [0.17.x] GUI - map generator's Preview button doesn't fit the text

Post by Dev-iL »

Instead of making the window wider (or the rightmost button smaller) to accommodate the string, an ellipsis was added.

I have shortened the string of the Mod Settings button as a temporary solution, but this isn't a good permanent solution imho.
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

tehfreek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.x] GUI - map generator's Preview button doesn't fit the text

Post by tehfreek »

Might be another thing to toss into testing; check if any text is ellipsized in any locale.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however I believe this is working as intended. The GUIs are all designed around English and it being able to fit in the GUI. If something doesn't fit in another language it's truncated (as you see) otherwise it's up to the translators to make it fit.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dev-iL »

@Rseding91 - Thank you for your comment, but respectfully, how can you dismiss this issue so easily? I think there's a conclusion to be drawn from this example for the GUI review process.
Rseding91 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:35 am
this is working as intended
Then it's a "bug" in the intention. Perhap's I'm in a minority opinion here, but to me it doen't make any sense from a UI/UX standpoint to give the green button huge amounts of needless padding, while another button is squeezed to the point of unreadability.
Rseding91 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:35 am
it's up to the translators to make it fit.
Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of inventing new words my language (that is, as long as I want to be understood). Am I supposed to start using abbreviations? Keep non-fitting strings untranslated?

Moreover, how are we translators supposed to find all these "underwater rocks"? At the moment, the only way of knowing that there even is an issue is to wait until the locales are pulled during a new build, and then find out that something is too long. I have a suggestion - how about you guys add some annotation to the strings which are limited in width so that we at least know when to be extra concise?
Last edited by Dev-iL on Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I'm not the one who decided this many months ago. You'll have to talk to memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=488 the lead graphics guy.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Albert
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [kovarex] [0.17.x] GUI - map generator's Preview button doesn't fit the text

Post by Albert »

Dev-iL wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:16 pm
Instead of making the window wider (or the rightmost button smaller) to accommodate the string, an ellipsis was added.

I have shortened the string of the Mod Settings button as a temporary solution, but this isn't a good permanent solution imho.
This ellipsis is a general resource for texts. But it shouldn't happen in a button if we can avoid it. In this case, we can avoid it, so we are fixing it.
Thanks for the report.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [kovarex] [0.17.x] GUI - map generator's Preview button doesn't fit the text

Post by kovarex »

Increased the maximum size of the preview button to give some extra space for different languages.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”