[0.17.4] [MacOS] Delays in control

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Sidan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [0.17.4] [MacOS] Delays in control

Post by Sidan »

posila wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:43 pm
Thanks for the reports and your logs.
It is fixed for 0.17.5
<3

cowgod77
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by cowgod77 »

posila wrote:
Thanks for the reports and your logs.

It is fixed for 0.17.5

EDIT: I was stuck in a mindset that the problem was caused mainly by rendering in Retina resolution so I started to prepare downscaled rendering on Friday, but after seeing all your logs and seeing that lot of you don't even run the game at FullHD, let alone on Retina; and lot of you mentioned trackpad so I switch my focus on our event processing code and found bug in it.

Rendering in Retina resolution is still problem on some configurations but it'll be handled as separate issue.
Amazing news! Thanks for getting this fixed so quickly, it has really been testing my dedication to struggle through the lag and play the game the last few days :)

Yeah, I was one of the first people who mentioned that it ran fine on my external monitor but laggy when playing directly on the laptop's screen, but the other variable I didn't think about is the fact that when I'm playing on the external monitor, I also use an external keyboard and mouse. Glad it got sorted out!

knutaldrin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by knutaldrin »

posila wrote:
and lot of you mentioned trackpad so I switch my focus on our event processing code and found bug in it.
Out of curiosity, what specifically caused the lag? I have experienced the same on other software, but nobody managed to fix the issue before now. :)

danielbrauer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by danielbrauer »

knutaldrin wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:27 pm
Out of curiosity, what specifically caused the lag?
Obviously I haven’t seen the code, but the precise and responsive scrolling you get with a trackpad on macOS requires events to be sent at a very high frequency. From what posila said, I’m guessing the event processing loop was getting overwhelmed, and then taking a while to catch up with the event queue.

cowgod77
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by cowgod77 »

knutaldrin wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:27 pm
Out of curiosity, what specifically caused the lag?
I'd be curious to hear about that too, but the patch notes give a little more info:
Fixed controls were lagging when application window was receiving lot of events it didn't recognize on macOS or Linux.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

The problem was we are translating SDL events to our own structures, and if there was an event that didn't yield any Factorio event, it would be mistaken for "end of the event queue" and event processing would stop until next frame. Touchpad was probably cause extra touch event to be sent; we don't care about thouse, so each of them always delayed processing of rest of the event queue by one frame.

cowgod77
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by cowgod77 »

Ah, thanks for the explanation! It’s working great since the patch.

knutaldrin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by knutaldrin »

posila wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:04 pm
The problem was we are translating SDL events to our own structures, and if there was an event that didn't yield any Factorio event, it would be mistaken for "end of the event queue" and event processing would stop until next frame. Touchpad was probably cause extra touch event to be sent; we don't care about thouse, so each of them always delayed processing of rest of the event queue by one frame.
Aha! Interesting, and thank you for the quick fix!

(Also thank you for factorio in general)

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”