[0.16.27] Bad fps after game start until alt+tab

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.16.27] Bad fps after game start until alt+tab

Post by Zeblote »

I noticed an odd problem where the game will run at a horrible 20 fps after starting. Using alt+tab and then going back to the game appears to fix it, immediately goes to 60 fps as expected.

After start:

After alt+tab:

This also seems to randomly happen during gameplay sometimes. Alt+tab again fixes it again.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(4.29 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
Last edited by Zeblote on Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

ttapada
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.16.26] Bad fps after game start until alt+tab

Post by ttapada »

I've experienced it too. Ran at under 30fps on my first session of the day. I ignored it as it was bearable. Second session ran at 60fps again... I ignored it since it was fine. I thought something was running on my pc or something...
No logs. I'll keep an eye out for any new situations

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

It stopped happening after updating my graphics driver. No idea what the problem was. Guess it's not a bug?

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

For some reason this started happening again today... ?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Hi, first of all - I am sorry this is happening to you, I am ashamed by the game not working properly on a state-of-the art gaming PC.
Secondly - do you have screen with G-sync?

How much work can I ask you to do to help investigate the issue? Can I prepare steps to capture GPU trace, that you could send to me? You'd have to install Windows Performance Toolkit from Microsoft and send trace that could be several hundred megabytes in size to us.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

posila wrote:Secondly - do you have screen with G-sync?
Yeah, is that part of it? Would be surprising, since no other game (3d or 2d) has a similar problem with this setup.
posila wrote:How much work can I ask you to do to help investigate the issue? Can I prepare steps to capture GPU trace, that you could send to me? You'd have to install Windows Performance Toolkit from Microsoft and send trace that could be several hundred megabytes in size to us.
That's no problem, I have fast upload

ttapada
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ttapada »

Started happening again... Really don't know how can I provide info to help...

Walk me through it and I'll upload whatever size

ttapada
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ttapada »

Almost certain now that my gtx960m does support g-sync...

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

ttapada wrote:Almost certain now that my gtx960m does support g-sync...
It does, but g-sync is only used if your monitor supports it aswell (typically these cost around $200 more than comparable monitors without) and you specifically enable it.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16.27] Bad fps after game start until alt+tab

Post by posila »

@Zeblote So I found prepared instructions here http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/ ... or-gpuview, I had problem setting it up on my computer because it requires US regional settings on Windows and throws nonsensical error otherwise.
I thought it would capture trace into circular buffer of fixed size so you could run it in background until the problem starts happening, and alt-tab to save the trace. But it seems to capture continuously until it runs out of memory. When I tested it, it recorded 3.5 GB trace file after 6 minutes (compressed to 200 MB with 7zip). So I won't ask you to jump through all these hoops when the result is very uncertain.
Instead in graphics options, try to set video memory usage to "High" and enable "Separate atlas for objects under shadows". If that doesn't help try to lower atlas texture size to 8196.

@ttapada: You have very different computer, please post your log and screenshot with debug timings (press F4 and enable show-time-usage - about the four lines from top)

EDIT: @Zeblote I just re-read the first post, and if it happens directly after starting, you the trace capture should work. If you are interested, follow the instructions from link at the beginning of the post, run log.cmd as administrator to start the capture, start the game, start new map or load a save, let it run for 10 seconds and alt tab back command prompt to run log.cmd again to stop the trace. If the game ran under 60 FPS at that run, I am interested in Merged.etl

Also I asked about G-sync monitor, because some people had issue with FPS dropping to 20, when G-sync was enabled. They usually fix it by disabling g-sync for Factorio, but I think it shouldn't be problem with v-sync disabled.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

For some reason I can't reproduce the problem today, it always runs at 60 fps now. I'll try those things if it happens again sometime

ttapada
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ttapada »

It does, but g-sync is only used if your monitor supports it aswell (typically these cost around $200 more than comparable monitors without) and you specifically enable it.
It does. HP includes it in most of higher end Omen "gaming" laptops. Not sure if it is enabled by default though.
. You have very different computer, please post your log and screenshot with debug timings (press F4 and enable show-time-usage - about the four lines from top)
I will as soon as I get home.

ttapada
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ttapada »

Can't reproduce it since the update to .16.28...

ttapada
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ttapada »

Print Sreen
Print Sreen
Sem nome.png (4.07 MiB) Viewed 9419 times
just happened...
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(7.39 KiB) Downloaded 120 times

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Loewchen wrote:See as well: 58484
That doesn't seem to be related, his gpu is slow all the time while this issue can be fixed quickly by just tabbing out and back in.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Zeblote wrote:
Loewchen wrote:See as well: 58484
That doesn't seem to be related, his gpu is slow all the time while this issue can be fixed quickly by just tabbing out and back in.
It's not related to the issue you were having, but it is to ttapada's.

ttapada
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ttapada »

You were right! It is related! It is the same!
Kudos and sorry for reusing this report to report something vaguely similar

Vulcanit3
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Vulcanit3 »

Just FYI, I've also been having this issue on windows ( the 20~fps issue with alt-tab fix)
I've got an Asus RoG G752VT with G-Sync and an Nvidia 970m, there's no way it should drop to 23 fps or so on a small game.

Just to note, this isn't an issue with the linux client at all, so I've swapped most of my factorio'ing to linux.

Would love a fix though, probably some silly windows setting somewhere :(

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Vulcanit3 wrote:Just FYI, I've also been having this issue on windows ( the 20~fps issue with alt-tab fix)
I've got an Asus RoG G752VT with G-Sync and an Nvidia 970m, there's no way it should drop to 23 fps or so on a small game.

Just to note, this isn't an issue with the linux client at all, so I've swapped most of my factorio'ing to linux.

Would love a fix though, probably some silly windows setting somewhere :(
The issue here is resolved, you need to open a new topic following: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51319.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”