[Rseding91] [16.17] Tile limit reached, 16.16 worked

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Opiboble
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Rseding91] [16.17] Tile limit reached, 16.16 worked

Post by Opiboble »

So I just updated to 0.16.17 and I can no longer load my map:/ wasn't that long into it so not the end of the world... can start up new map no problem. So don't know what is up.
Factorio Crash.PNG
Factorio Crash.PNG (124.22 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
16 new.zip
(3.28 MiB) Downloaded 142 times
I guess I will go back to work, for now lol.
Last edited by Opiboble on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.16.17] Save wont start :/

Post by Reika »

Opiboble wrote:So I just updated to 0.16.17 and I can no longer load my map:/ wasn't that long into it so not the end of the world... can start up new map no problem. So don't know what is up.
Factorio Crash.PNG
16 new.zip
I guess I will go back to work, for now lol.
The game can only allow for 255 tile types; did 0.16.17 add any new vanilla ones? Did you update any tile-adding mods?

Opiboble
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Opiboble »

There was a note in scripts about tiles, but wouldn't that also prevent me from creating a new map? I can create a new map just fine, just not spin up my current one...

Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Reika »

Opiboble wrote:There was a note in scripts about tiles, but wouldn't that also prevent me from creating a new map? I can create a new map just fine, just not spin up my current one...
Perhaps a tile changed names, and before the old one is cleared the new one is declared?

Opiboble
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [16.17] Tile limit reached, 16.16 worked

Post by Opiboble »

Still a problem in 0.16.18... Is there a location of a log that I can look at to see what is using up all the Tile limit?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [16.17] Tile limit reached, 16.16 worked

Post by kovarex »

There was one tile added by vanilla, so you probably use some mods that use a lot of times and you ran out of the ids.

credomane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Rseding91] [16.17] Tile limit reached, 16.16 worked

Post by credomane »

What is the likelihood (read: difficulty) of getting the tile limit increased by a byte making it 4095 max?

I got a number of saves I can't load directly anymore because of this error.

Have to disable just the right mod, load, save, reenable the mod and it seems to work just fine until the error randomly reappears again on loading.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

credomane wrote:What is the likelihood (read: difficulty) of getting the tile limit increased by a byte making it 4095 max?

I got a number of saves I can't load directly anymore because of this error.

Have to disable just the right mod, load, save, reenable the mod and it seems to work just fine until the error randomly reappears again on loading.
Increasing the tile limit by a byte isn't going to happen. It would increase the memory footprint of every chunk by 32*32 bytes and with saves having between 1 and 3 million on average that's a massive increase in RAM for something that goes completely unused in the base game.

What I'm thinking I'll do to address this is change how tile migrations work so if the game runs into a situation like this where it literally can't do migration logic correctly because it runs out of tile IDs to load the save file it will force migrate previous tiles to make the game loadable.

It will let you load the save(s) but it's going to migrate tiles (at random from a user perspective) to different types and result in very broken terrain.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

kaffeemonster
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kaffeemonster »

@Rseding91

I can understand you don't want to raise the amount of IDs, memory usage for every tile and so on.
As a Programmer I faced similar problems, a byte can be very much if you save it several million times...

But:
Would it be possible to run migrations before the too-much-tiles-check?

Or have a "Proceed anyway (CATION! May ruin Map)"-Button, which would remove all tiles > 255 and set them to grass-1.
This would at least let you start the game (to remove mods) or transfer most of a save.

ATM i can't migrate an 0.15 save with Alien Biomes + Angels+Bobs (but no Asphalt or something like that) to 0.16 with Alien Biomes + Angels+Bobs.
Overall there may be 170 Tiles finally, but during first load/migration it's well over 255 because all new and all old tiles seem to exist simultaneous till migrations are run.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Ok, this is now fixed for the next version of 0.16.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”