[Kovarex] [0.16.5][Mac] Fluid Wagon Gui Bug

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Meridanus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[Kovarex] [0.16.5][Mac] Fluid Wagon Gui Bug

Post by Meridanus »

The fluidwagongui fill label is overlaped
When all 3 tank's are full only the 1st tank will show (25k)
see image:

Greetings
Attachments
Fluidwagon Gui Bug
Fluidwagon Gui Bug
Bildschirmfoto 2017-12-18 um 13.45.01.png (1.64 MiB) Viewed 9675 times

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Kovarex] [0.16.5][Mac] Fluid Wagon Gui Bug

Post by kovarex »

Thanks for the report, I solved this bug for the next version by removing the feature of disconnecting wagon parts and so this gui won't exist anymore.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

So the tanker will be effectively just one tank? What will happen to existing tankers with multiple different fluids? Thats likely to breaks some peoples factories, and might even result in pipes getting contaminated with the wrong fluid.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Zavian wrote:So the tanker will be effectively just one tank?
Indeed. No more separatng the tanks, so it's one tank.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Will the change simply remove the ability to separate tanks in new fluid wagons, but leave existing trains alone?, or will it merge tanks of existing trains even if they currently have differtent fluids?

If you are going to merge the tanks of existing trains can I suggest holding off until after this weeks FFF. Then mention the planned change at the start of the FFF. Also add a note to the top of the changelog for 0.16.7 that you are intending to make such a change in 0.16.8. Not everyone will read those, but that will at least give players a chance to notice and change anything that is like to break in their factories, and drain any fluid wagons that multiple fluids.

Rhamphoryncus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Rhamphoryncus »

Why would you remove such a cool, useful feature?

WIZ4
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by WIZ4 »

Oh no. It was such a cool feature
My native language is russian. Sorry if my messages are difficult to read.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Rhamphoryncus wrote:Why would you remove such a cool, useful feature?
Well i wondered why it was implemented at first because the seperation can't be automated.

Hopefully 0.1 liquid squashing comes with it.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

kovarex wrote:Thanks for the report, I solved this bug for the next version by removing the feature of disconnecting wagon parts and so this gui won't exist anymore.
i hope you are joking. :|

TreefrogGreaken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TreefrogGreaken »

Well they might have removed the feature, but kept the tanks independent so that you still need 3 pumps to fill all 3 tanks, thus keeping them separate from each other. At least I'd hope so.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Seems like a pretty radical fix for gui... to remove the functionality.
If you want to load/unload quickly 3 pumps are still recommended and then there is no leftover problem I think.

Codemaster
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Codemaster »

impetus maximus wrote:
kovarex wrote:Thanks for the report, I solved this bug for the next version by removing the feature of disconnecting wagon parts and so this gui won't exist anymore.
i hope you are joking. :|
I hope so as well..

MrGrim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrGrim »

TreefrogGreaken wrote:Well they might have removed the feature, but kept the tanks independent so that you still need 3 pumps to fill all 3 tanks, thus keeping them separate from each other. At least I'd hope so.
This is a much nicer way to remove the GUI while keeping the feature. Please consider doing it this way. No GUI and always independent tanks solves all problems. Worst case is some people might need to add some additional pumps to stations.

PhatzDomino
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PhatzDomino »

MrGrim wrote:
TreefrogGreaken wrote:Well they might have removed the feature, but kept the tanks independent so that you still need 3 pumps to fill all 3 tanks, thus keeping them separate from each other. At least I'd hope so.
This is a much nicer way to remove the GUI while keeping the feature. Please consider doing it this way. No GUI and always independent tanks solves all problems. Worst case is some people might need to add some additional pumps to stations.
Couldn't agree more with this, great idea :)

TK_Neg
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TK_Neg »

...Well this sure seems like the nuclear option for what may have been able to be solved by moving the text above the fluid icons. I don't know specifically, I don't code.
Either way, I shall echo the voice of many annoyed players: what the hell kovarex?!

Vandroiy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vandroiy »

Good choice! Though I feel for people whose factories malfunction and need pipe cleaning.

Don't cry for minor features that complicate development for little gain! Factorio is a big game; making cuts to make room for more useful features is a virtue. Separated fluid wagons were a solution without a problem. Confusing for newcomers, and not necessary, since using multiple wagons is a good option. Almost all uses can be designed around without harming any of the core gameplay or balance.

How many people would rather have devs maintaining this practically irrelevant feature while people are on the fence about core features like belt mechanics?

"You gotta have a sense of proportion" -- Milton Friedman
Last edited by Vandroiy on Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

but we have pop-up tutorials now to show players how things work.

Vandroiy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vandroiy »

impetus maximus wrote:but we have pop-up tutorials now to show players how things work.
That's not the point. You need to have an idea about the costs of maintaining an irregular feature like this.

Every change in the vicinity of such a feature must be kept in sync with it. All interactions must be tested for bugs; in the case of Factorio, that means more automated tests, that also have to be maintained and documented. The same goes for the tutorials, GUI, etc.

Software costs are above linear in the amount of features in it. If you add too many, it becomes too hard to maintain, let alone to make changes. There are always way, way more subtleties than anyone thinks of at first. It's an art to know exactly where to invest the limited amount of complexity a developer can handle.

Keeping a feature like this will usually mean losing the ability to add a more important feature. It's a cost-benefit question. To justify a feature, it must really add to the product, not just be a small gimmick that wastes the team's time. Unless someone can explain why the fluid compartments are really useful, it seems totally credible that it's okay to remove them and look ahead, to less bugs, better performance, or new features, wherever the time is best spent.

TK_Neg
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TK_Neg »

Vandroiy wrote:
How many people would rather have devs maintaining this practically irrelevant feature...
Part of the information displayed was stacked on itself. Not what I'd consider broken, personally, when there was a second, fully functional display of the same information visible at the same time. And having the option of three separate tanks on one tanker car seems like a valid choice based on the aesthetics of the tanker itself.

But do consider this: would you be ok with the decision to make the standard cargo wagons one inventory type only, just because the numbers in the inventory grid were overlapping(based on what information we've been given on the subject)? I wouldn't. I wouldn't want have a supply train of 15 wagons when I'm trying to expand a base, nor would I want a supply train of six different wagons when trying to transfer six different fluids to the same place compactly.

It just seems like a massive overreaction to me is all. :(

JihadJ0e
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JihadJ0e »

I really liked the previous mechanic, and thought it was plenty intuitive. The default of being a single tank also made sense and did not over complicate things for beginners.

Splitting the wagon into three independent tanks is better then bad, but still not as good as the previous mechanic.

Making it a single large tank is anti-fun.

I respectfully ask that you revert this change.

In any case thank you for the outstanding game and have a great holiday.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”