[Rseding91] [0.15.30] Radar getting too weak on megabase

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
gexxo
Inserter
Inserter

[Rseding91] [0.15.30] Radar getting too weak on megabase

Post by gexxo »

I have created a quite huge base, and now it seems that my radars cannot keep up with the visible area anymore. They scan too slowly, so my revealed area gets unrevealed from time to time, which is super annoying (I cannot see my own base in the map view then, when zooming in). Here is an image that aptly shows the problem, everything is only half revealed. The handrawn red circles show areas that should be fully revealed but are about to fade to black before being rescanned.
radar-too-weak.png
radar-too-weak.png (1.23 MiB) Viewed 4967 times

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.15.30] Radar getting too weak on megabase

Post by Bilka »

Do the radars have enough power?
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

gexxo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gexxo »

Bilka wrote:Do the radars have enough power?
Yes, full power from over 130 nuclear reactors (see image below). I suspect that there are only X squares scanned per tick and once a square is not scanned for Y seconds, it starts to fade to black. Since I have some many revealed squares, it takes longer than Y seconds to scan them all. A fix would be to not fade squares to black, which are known to be under a fully-powered radar, I guess.
radar-too-weak-2.png
radar-too-weak-2.png (7.92 MiB) Viewed 4964 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. Can you upload your save file and all the mods you're using so I can look at it?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Killerbee
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [Rseding91] [0.15.30] Radar getting too weak on megabase

Post by Killerbee »

If my suspicion is correct you can reproduce this problem with commands. When you use a command to scan a large area and look at the map view you will see that the location where the player is standing will start to fade out, like he isn't there.
I'm on my phone so I can't test it but it was probably this command that showed the issue
/c game.forces.player.chart(game.player.surface, {lefttop = {x = -2048, y = -2048}, rightbottom = {x = 2048, y = 2048}})

gexxo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gexxo »

The map and the zipped mods folder are attached. Thanks for investigating :).

I think what Killerbee is saying is correct, though I haven't tested it either.
Attachments
mods.zip
Zipped mods folder
(33.04 MiB) Downloaded 112 times
v15_2onward34.zip
The game
(112.48 MiB) Downloaded 111 times

rorror
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rorror »

You are using the mod "Big Brother" that amplifies radars, maybe that is causing it?

gexxo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gexxo »

rorror wrote:You are using the mod "Big Brother" that amplifies radars, maybe that is causing it?
Yes, but if I understand that mod correctly, all it does is to severely boost the stats of radars. It does not change the radar mechanics, so it may simply uncover a bug earlier, for which a vanilla game would take a lot more time to hit. Therefore, there seems to be some shortcoming in the radar logic when the amount of visible area is really huge. I never had this problem with a small base, it gradually built up the more radars I placed (and was not noticable until my base and the uncovered area reached quite huge dimensions). Note that this is a really huge base, my high end CPU/GPU setup is running with around 7-8 FPS and the uncovered area is huge. It really looks to me as if the radar mechanics came to their limits on this base and I think the only limits for a megabase should be the FPS :).

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the save. I've changed it so the game scales up the number of chunks it processes per tick based off how many are in the queue to be refreshed.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Taoh
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Taoh »

Not sure if you need more save files of the issue. I ran into this problem in current build with my current larger than average base.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UqJ0v ... 960obvJotz

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”