[Oxyd] [for 0.16] [0.15.27] Cannot connect at all with many mods

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
WorksAtTheHomotel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[Oxyd] [for 0.16] [0.15.27] Cannot connect at all with many mods

Post by WorksAtTheHomotel »

Using a mod pack assembled and hosted by a friend, I cannot connect to any server.
It doesn't matter if the server is running any mods or not, I don't even get a mismatch error.

When I disable all the mods, I get the appropriate errors (or can connect to unmodded servers)

I have seen similar errors reported before and some of them mention mod list packet fragmentation and port randomization, but I cannot do anything about router settings as my ISP does not provide me access to the device that would have that option.

Here are images of the error I get (Could not establish network communication) and the console log when it happens.
https://i.imgur.com/OHKqnSS.png https://i.imgur.com/39ucS1b.png

The server does not show any error, and using the same version and the same mod pack, five other friends have connected and played without issues.
modlist
Attachments
factorio-current.log
Here is the log
(18.46 KiB) Downloaded 139 times

Xuerian
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.15.27] Cannot connect at all with many mods

Post by Xuerian »

Friend here.

Server log doesn't show anything at all when OP tries to connect with mods enabled, normal rejection without mods.

OP has joined with previous, smaller modpacks on earlier 0.15 versions.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

The problem might be with your maximum packet size. We use the value 512, which should be enough for every network, but who knows.

You can try this command in the command line:

Code: Select all

ping www.google.com -f -l 512
You will either get message:

Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.
or not.

You can tweak the number 512 to find out what is the maximum packet size your network can handle.

WorksAtTheHomotel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by WorksAtTheHomotel »

kovarex wrote:The problem might be with your maximum packet size. We use the value 512, which should be enough for every network, but who knows.

You can try this command in the command line:

ping www.google.com -f -l 512
You will either get message:

Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.
or not.

You can tweak the number 512 to find out what is the maximum packet size your network can handle.
Maybe that isn't it. It doesn't complain about DF until between 1400 and 1500.
ping log
What else can I do to diagnose what's happening? I know it doesn't help you much, but I have no problems playing other online games, even hosted by the same friend, like heavily modded minecraft, or 7dtd.

Thanks for your help.

Xuerian
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [kovarex] [0.15.27] Cannot connect at all with many mods

Post by Xuerian »

We have since successfully started and he has connected to another couple saves once the amount of mods was reduced again. Full pack, no connection attempt/rejection. This pack, worked fine. Same mod versions, just many removed.
modlist

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

In that case, I don't know what is going on, could you try to simulate the situation again and make Wireshark capture of it both on the server and on the client?

Xuerian
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xuerian »

kovarex wrote:In that case, I don't know what is going on, could you try to simulate the situation again and make Wireshark capture of it both on the server and on the client?
Here's captures of both OP and myself connecting from both the client and the server, with OP getting the original error (Could not establish network communication) and my own backing out at the password prompt.

Let me know if it's not what you needed.
captures.zip
(19.49 KiB) Downloaded 126 times

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Could you please specify in which exact version you did the capture? (Or better add a log file)

Xuerian
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xuerian »

kovarex wrote:Could you please specify in which exact version you did the capture? (Or better add a log file)

Logs are attached.

Of course, this is the exact same version and mod set up as the log from the OP and the server log shows nothing, so I'm not sure how much it will help you.
Attachments
logs.zip
(9.89 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Oxyd] [for 0.16] [0.15.27] Cannot connect at all with many mods

Post by Twinsen »

Hi, the bug happens due to our packet fragmentation. The initial ConnectionRequestReplyConfirm message is too big because of the large number of mods and mod settings, so it it fragmented into multiple packets. The network drops some of those packets so the full ConnectionRequestReplyConfirm message is never received even after multiple tries.

Because the fix for this requires some important changes to our networking, and since it's not a critical bug, it is planned to be fixed for 0.16.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Could you please zip all of the mods you're using and upload them somewhere? Dropbox, google drive, one drive and so on.

I want to see if I can optimize the saving/loading of the settings when sending them over the network.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Xuerian
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xuerian »

Twinsen wrote:Hi, the bug happens due to our packet fragmentation. The initial ConnectionRequestReplyConfirm message is too big because of the large number of mods and mod settings, so it it fragmented into multiple packets. The network drops some of those packets so the full ConnectionRequestReplyConfirm message is never received even after multiple tries.

Because the fix for this requires some important changes to our networking, and since it's not a critical bug, it is planned to be fixed for 0.16.
Well, it's good to know what it is at least.
Rseding91 wrote:Could you please zip all of the mods you're using and upload them somewhere? Dropbox, google drive, one drive and so on.

I want to see if I can optimize the saving/loading of the settings when sending them over the network.
Full pack: http://xuerian.net/factorio/JANGLES_MODS.zip
Light pack: http://xuerian.net/factorio/mods_0.15.27_vanlite.zip

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Thanks for the mods. This will be fixed in 0.16.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”