Assembling machine infinitely buffers after decreasing speed

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Assembling machine infinitely buffers after decreasing speed

Post by Optera »

It's possible to break max input buffer using loaders.

Without modules and beacons the assembler buffers to 144 iron 244 copper cables.
Baseline
Baseline
2017-06-09-07-56-12-5667079.jpg (426.67 KiB) Viewed 5550 times
after boosting it to ridiculous +7000% the buffer grew to 186 iron 469 copper cable
boosted to +7000%
boosted to +7000%
2017-06-09-08-00-30-2034439.jpg (454.32 KiB) Viewed 5550 times
BUT when I remove the beacons so the assembler is holding more than its buffer allows it starts buffering forever.
Assembler of infinite holding
Assembler of infinite holding
2017-06-09-08-11-08-5319542.jpg (436.86 KiB) Viewed 5550 times

golfmiketango
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Assembler of infinite holding

Post by golfmiketango »

This is awesome but pretty clearly a bug. Still, I'd really like to have one. It actually is not a completely unbalanced behavior -- since you can't get the stuff you put into it out automatically without deconstructing it, but instead a trickle of some other product, an argument could be made that factorissimo (for example) is way more OP. Actually deconstructing the thing is probably a fun way to fill your field of vision with bots.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

That's working as intended. The amount in the assembling machine scales with the speed boost.

In your case you turned the speed boost up to crazy levels and got crazy results - exactly as I programmed it to work.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Rseding91 wrote:That's working as intended. The amount in the assembling machine scales with the speed boost.

In your case you turned the speed boost up to crazy levels and got crazy results - exactly as I programmed it to work.
When I first heard of this that was my initial thought too, but this bug is slightly different.

+7000% speed only has a moderate increase in buffer capacity.
The bug happens when you remove the speed bonus while still having the buffer filled to the increased size. This seems to break all limits and allows for infinite number of items to be inserted.

Ruin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ruin »

Any update on this issue? It really makes loaders unplayable (for me at least) in late game Bob/Angel facs.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Assembling machine infinitely buffers after decreasing speed

Post by Optera »

The devs seem to consider this not a bug.

I added Inventory Sensors to all Loader fed crafting machines and only enable the belt in front of the loader if the machine contains < 200 items.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I can't reproduce what you describe. It never goes above 144 iron plates no matter how many speed modules in beacons I put around the assembling machine.

Cribbit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cribbit »

Rseding91 wrote:I can't reproduce what you describe. It never goes above 144 iron plates no matter how many speed modules in beacons I put around the assembling machine.
It sounds like the bug happens when you remove speed modules while the buffer is above what the new buffer would be.

It sounds like this might be reproduceable without crazy beaconing.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Cribbit wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:I can't reproduce what you describe. It never goes above 144 iron plates no matter how many speed modules in beacons I put around the assembling machine.
It sounds like the bug happens when you remove speed modules while the buffer is above what the new buffer would be.

That's what I tried but I could never get it above 144.

Anyway, I think I fixed it but without a reliable way to get it above 144 I can't say for sure.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Rseding91 wrote:
Cribbit wrote:

That's what I tried but I could never get it above 144.

Anyway, I think I fixed it but without a reliable way to get it above 144 I can't say for sure.
With base beacons and modules the green circuit recipe is always filled to 152 iron plates, 252 copper cable by loaders regardless of speed bonus.
Using modded super speed modules e.g Creative Mode, forces the recipe to load more than above numbers.
After removing the speed boost the effect still triggers for any input holding more than the fill level at base speed.

Ruin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ruin »

Thanks for looking at it. :) What version should we test in to see if a fix works? I would get into trouble with late game beacon madness trying to load barrels in Angel's Petrochem fast enough to make rocket fuel in large amounts.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Ruin wrote:Thanks for looking at it. :) What version should we test in to see if a fix works? I would get into trouble with late game beacon madness trying to load barrels in Angel's Petrochem fast enough to make rocket fuel in large amounts.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

wolfling
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by wolfling »

Factorio Bug - Assembler overflow.png
Factorio Bug - Assembler overflow.png (1.41 MiB) Viewed 4891 times
Here's an image of what's happening; the assembler highlighted is currently holding over 30,000 units of cellulose. Note the quantity in the GUI on the RHS of the screen.
All the cellulose on the ground is from when I tried to change a different assembler's recipe and it dumped 80k on the ground (FPS of 4.5 for twenty minutes because of that...)

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”