[0.15.11] macOS game is low-resolution on retina displays

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
danielbrauer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.15.11] macOS game is low-resolution on retina displays

Post by danielbrauer »

The macOS version of Factorio does not support retina displays properly. Instead of using all the available resolution, the application opens in low resolution. In the screen shot below, note how the Finder window in the foreground is full-resolution, whereas Factorio is using pixel-doubling in its content and title bar:

Factorio supports high resolutions really well on Windows and Linux! My guess is it will be relatively easy to extend support to macOS. These are probably all you need:
https://developer.apple.com/reference/a ... nglsurface
https://developer.apple.com/reference/a ... calefactor

If you want to be fancy and handle dragging between retina and old displays dynamically, you should use this callback:
https://developer.apple.com/reference/a ... properties

Baughn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.15.11] macOS game is low-resolution on retina displays

Post by Baughn »

This is an old problem, with an old workaround: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=20751

Factorio runs great on Retina if you just add that key. The problem is, it tends to overload my laptop and start lagging... that's not Factorio's fault, though.

danielbrauer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by danielbrauer »

Oh cool, that's not bad at all! I didn't try that approach because in the original post it says the property doesn't actually increase the resolution of the game:
After this the window's chrome is in retina resolution after a game restart. Unfortunately the game's graphics aren't.
Luckily this is incorrect, and everything seems to work fine in both windowed and fullscreen modes. Thank you!

danielbrauer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by danielbrauer »

Hey hold on! The existence of a workaround does not mean this bug is resolved. Users should not have to edit a hidden file in order to get the program to support hardware which has been around since 2012.

Baughn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Baughn »

Well, yeah. This bug should still be open. If I were to make a suggestion, the devs should:

- Add that key to the application manifest, so we don't need to.
- Rescale the UI to fit the display's actual DPI, without users needing to drag the handle. Scaling already works fine, you just need to do it automatically...

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”