[Rseding91] [0.15.4] Map settings deviate from selected preset after leaving game

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Rseding91] [0.15.4] Map settings deviate from selected preset after leaving game

Post by aober93 »

So i started a standard game, and soon noticed it had marathon settings.

To replicate start a marathon game, but just end it. Then start a new game and leave the setting at "standard" ,just click start game. It will still be marathon. Only way to avoid this is to click another mode and then back.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: *[15.4] Map settings deviate from selected preset after leaving game

Post by Loewchen »

Can confirm, the preset goes back to default, while the actual settings stay at what ever was chosen before.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The preset isn't saved at all in the map - presets simply change the rest of the settings so when you create a map it saves the settings you had set so the next time you open the GUI they're what you had previously used.

That's working as intended - since a given preset isn't saved in the map and isn't guaranteed to even exist when you go back to the generate map GUI again.

If you click the "reset" button it will reset all settings back to what ever preset you have selected.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

Hmm you misunderstood that kinda hard

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I can reproduce the issue.

I would say that the error is, that when the new game dialog is opened with the selection of default. the options don't actually reset to default (unless you click some other preset and back to default) which is very confusing.

Moving back to bugs.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.15.4] [Rseding91] Map settings deviate from selected preset after leaving game

Post by mrvn »

Since the game knows all the other settings how about testing each preset to see if the settings match. Then only highlight a preset if one matches.

That way, if a preset was used last time, it will be shown as active again. If the preset disapeared or changed in any way no preset will be highlighted signaling that custom settings are in effect.

Hoeloe
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.15.4] [Rseding91] Map settings deviate from selected preset after leaving game

Post by Hoeloe »

I would like to mention that I believe some of this behaviour is intended. When I start a new game it's more like this:
- Choose preset
- Change some settings of the preset
- Start game
- Realize: "Wow, that Oilpatch is way too big for my sense"
- Leave game, going back to settings
- Then I only want to change oilpatch size, and every other setting should remain like I changed it before

If you want it to work like this and make it comprehensible to the player, that the settings are actually still changed, you should make it like:
- Choose preset
- If you change a setting of it: switch preset to "Custom settings"
- Keep everything else like it is right now

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Hoeloe wrote:I would like to mention that I believe some of this behaviour is intended. When I start a new game it's more like this:
- Choose preset
- Change some settings of the preset
- Start game
- Realize: "Wow, that Oilpatch is way too big for my sense"
- Leave game, going back to settings
- Then I only want to change oilpatch size, and every other setting should remain like I changed it before

If you want it to work like this and make it comprehensible to the player, that the settings are actually still changed, you should make it like:
- Choose preset
- If you change a setting of it: switch preset to "Custom settings"
- Keep everything else like it is right now
It already does all that when you choose settings the first time. The only problem is that it shows the default preset selected when you do it again while it isn't.

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

very thanks, now its working as expected :)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Rseding91] [0.15.4] Map settings deviate from selected preset after leaving game

Post by mrvn »

Except the map seed (and I thing size too) are not preserved.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”