[Resolved] No stone in New Game?

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Poiasdope
Inserter
Inserter

[Resolved] No stone in New Game?

Post by Poiasdope »

I can't find any stone in Alpha 0.2.6.3266.
Tried and died 5 times after running out of ammo and constantly running around. Lot's and lot's of normal mineral deposits but no stone. What do? I really wanted to play the "infinite" (no time and tech restriction) version of the game.

TAC
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [Bug] No stone in New Game?

Post by TAC »

I noticed the same thing. I wonder if a new game that's "infinite" is generated off the defaults listed in the map generator (Map editor -> New map). It shows stone as being rare which is the second option after very rare. It also lists them as being small in size (I think that's what is meant by segmentation).

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

TAC wrote:I noticed the same thing. I wonder if a new game that's "infinite" is generated off the defaults listed in the map generator (Map editor -> New map). It shows stone as being rare which is the second option after very rare. It also lists them as being small in size (I think that's what is meant by segmentation).
Yes, it uses the default value, I guess that increasing the amount wouldn't hurt, I will do that in the next release.

If you want to play it now, you can just modify it yourself.
Open Factorio/data/prototype-definitions/entity/demo-resources.json
and find the stone definition, it looks like this:

Code: Select all

{
    "type": "resource",
    "name": "stone",
    "flags": ["placeable-neutral"],
    "minable": { "hardness": 0.4, "mining-time": 2, "result": "stone", "mining-particle": "stone-particle"},
    "collision-box": [[-0.1, -0.1], [0.1, 0.1]],
    "selection-box": [[-0.5, -0.5], [0.5, 0.5]],
    "stage-counts" : [1000, 600, 400, 200, 100, 50, 20, 1],
    "stages":
    {
      "filename": "entity/stone/stone.png",
      "priority": "extra-high",
      "frame-width": 38,
      "frame-height": 38,
      "frame-count": 4,
      "direction-count": 8
    },
    "default-generator-settings":
    {
      "frequency": "Rare",
      "size": "Small",
      "richness": "Regular"
    }
  }
Just change the frequency to Medium and it should help.

Poiasdope
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Poiasdope »

Thanks for the quick response, everybody.
After exploring the menus and finding the great map generator I'm almost ashamed I made thread.

The solution I found is to make a map in Map Creator, put the player in a good spot and save. Then I could start a Custom Map using the one I created.

A suggestion I could give is to make more uses for Stone for the players want to have it even later in the game. Please disregard the suggestion if they indeed have uses for later than making Boilers.

Thanks again for this amazing game and may it and its community grow nonstop! :D

TAC
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TAC »

kovarex wrote:
TAC wrote:I noticed the same thing. I wonder if a new game that's "infinite" is generated off the defaults listed in the map generator (Map editor -> New map). It shows stone as being rare which is the second option after very rare. It also lists them as being small in size (I think that's what is meant by segmentation).
Yes, it uses the default value, I guess that increasing the amount wouldn't hurt, I will do that in the next release.

If you want to play it now, you can just modify it yourself.
Open Factorio/data/prototype-definitions/entity/demo-resources.json
and find the stone definition. ... Just change the frequency to Medium and it should help.
That's quite helpful. I would probably tweak the default resources generation for the other ores to be slightly rarer and the stone a bit more plentiful as the stone is basically the first required raw material since you start out with 8 iron plates and then, depending on generation of the map, you might have no way to make any more plates. The iron and copper seem significantly more plentiful on the generated maps than stone. Looking at the defaults, copper and iron are both generated with the same frequency and richness which probably could be tweaked a bit less on the copper side as it is a higher tiered ore so to speak.

I was about to start digging into the data folder to see if the rarity was defined, but you saved me the trouble. Eh, who am I kidding, I'm still probably gonna poke around in it a bit. :mrgreen:

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Poiasdope wrote:Thanks for the quick response, everybody.
After exploring the menus and finding the great map generator I'm almost ashamed I made thread.
This is the second way to go, the map generator controls are so bad at this moment, that I didn't want you to force to handle that :)

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”