[Twinsen] Burner Inserter out of fuel bug

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
leochoy06
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Twinsen] Burner Inserter out of fuel bug

Post by leochoy06 »

Sometimes the burner inserter used for inserting coal into boiler would ran out of fuel, even coal is available at the back of the inserter. The inserter simply stopped working.
Manually picking up the inserter and re-placing it back to the position would make it works again.

CyberPhantom
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Burner Inserter out of fuel bug

Post by CyberPhantom »

Is the burner inserter literally running out of fuel or does it just seem to stop working for some reason? If the latter, this may be due to 27465 which should be fixed in 0.13.7. If the former, maybe you could upload a save where it happens so the developers can understand the bad behavior better?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Please post a save where this behaviour can be observed shortly afterwards.
What version of the game are you using?
With what version of the game was the map created that shows this issue?

Nulluhrzehn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nulluhrzehn »

Maybe it is trying to get coal of a fast transport track or an express one?

Really fast transport tracks can be so fast, that the inserter uses up fuel trying to catch a piece of coal even though it fails to do so. Theoretically it would be possible for the inserter to run out of fuel, because he tries to do so over and over again without success. Later, when you came by to watch however, the belt was full of coal, but the inserter was unable to grab a piece, because he had run out of fuel. When you place a burner inserter, it is always empty, but even though it is empty and has no fuel, it opperates for 1 second or so, grabbing fuel for itself if possible. This only works on the very 1st 2 or 3 seconds of operation it does after it is placed. If it completely runs out of fuel later it is not able to grab new fuel, even if it's laying still right in front of it. I do have to admit, that the scenario I described above would require the inserter to fail at grabbing a piece of fuel off the belt like 60-100 times in a row, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a real bug ... OR you built the burner inserter in front of an underground belt entrance or exit, which both limit the time the inserter has to grab it's desired item even more, additionally to the belt speed issue.

In the JPG I have added to this post, you can see the results of a few experiments I have run to test my theories:

I. The first picture shows burner inserters grabbing fuel off an express track.
-- 6 Inserters actually managed to grab one, because I had put them on the track rather tightly. 3 inserters didn't manage to grab one and went out of fuel.

II. The second picture shows what happened a few seconds later: All inserters are out of fuel, even though there is still wood on the track. Because the distance between two pieces of wood is too high, the inserters always go back to default position after a futile attempt and have to move back in for the next attempt to grab something, that's why they all ran out of fuel, even though there still was some.

III. The third picture shows burner inserters in front of a fast track, that has wood put on with a certain distance between each piece of wood.
-- Not a single inserter managed to grab a piece of wood, before running out of it's "first flush"-fuel.

IV. The forth picture shows burner inserters successfully grabbing wood off of the >CLOSE< right side of regular slow transbort belt tunnel entrances and exits.

V. The fifth picture shows a similar setup, but the inserters are on the other side trying to grab the wood from the >FAR< right side of the belt. This time every single inserter, that's trying to grab fuel off of an underground belt tunnel >EXIT< fails to do so, and runs out of fuel, rendering it unable to grab more fuel and operate normally, even though the belt is stuffed with wood later.

So I suggest you check your factory for one of these mistakes, before claiming that it is bugged.
I recommend to you, to never build fast or express belts in front of a burner inserter, to never build a tunnel before a burner inserter and finally if you wanna brake these rules, to always have fuel for boilers be deliverd into a DEAD END transport belt. If you build your burner inserters right next to a belt that delivers coal to your smelters and plastic production, it is likely, that the coal on the belt will always just "roll by" the inserters and never end up being stuffed on the belt, which is the best guarantee, that inserters will always manage to grab items of the belt.

Hope this helps
Attachments
Transport belt burner inserter experiments.jpg
Transport belt burner inserter experiments.jpg (178.47 KiB) Viewed 2932 times

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Twinsen] Burner Inserter out of fuel bug

Post by Twinsen »

It's very probable that it is caused by this bug viewtopic.php?f=30&t=27465

Please check that this still happens in Version: 0.13.7. Or if it's not one of the situations described by Nulluhrzehn.
You will still need to refuel the inserters that ran out of fuel in your old savegame.

Reply to this topic if the problem persists.

leochoy06
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by leochoy06 »

The problem is not related to transport belt at all, as the burner inserter is grabbing coal from ground.

Since the problem only happen very occasionally, I will check if it happens again after the update and upload the save if possible.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Maybe related to this? viewtopic.php?t=28046
Also fixed in Version: 0.13.7

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”