[0.9.2] Poles vs Rails

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

[0.9.2] Poles vs Rails

Post by ssilk »

Clipboard10.jpg
Clipboard10.jpg (43.36 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
Pole (Medium pole) is destroyed every round by the train. Same bug as with the lasers... I recommend to make integration tests for that.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.9.2] Poles vs Rails

Post by kovarex »

I'm not sure, Is it really a bug when you built it so nearby?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. Good point. It's obviously too near, everybody can see it. For my excuse I must say, I built it the other way: the pole was first and then, some days later I built the rail, and due to other reasons I need to make it so, and because of focusing on the rail I didn't saw the pole.

I can live with it, if it would be a bit more clear. Maybe when I place the track some red highlight around the pole or something in this direction, if easy to implement.

And!! There is a use for that. :)
So I'll it sound, so I'll it is, but when the train drives there, it destroys the pole. The things behind are not powered anymore, until it is replaced by a construction bot.

It's surprising, but this is one of those things I like factorio so: This works like a switch! :)

I currently don't know exactly, how this can be used, but I can imagine a switching, where a the train drives in a circle and turns of in more or less exact timing some circuits. I think this can be used for some testing, where you crash the pole and more or less exactly after 60 seconds the construction bot replaces the pole and turns on the circuit again. Yes, crazy, but useful.

CherryKiss
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CherryKiss »

I think it is fair to say it is a bug. You'd expect the game not to allow you to build, if it is too close to the track.

DRBLN
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRBLN »

IMHO, that's a feature.

In a real life you can build anything on the railway and let the train destroy that building.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

It is so obvious, that it is too near, that I'm sure, not only me will find that as a bug. :)

My thoughts: When there is something, which shows, that it is thought as feature, not as bug, I would accept that, because that avoids the new players like "Hey, I've found a bug, if you place a pole too near to rails..." :) But think deeper: if you compute this "hint", you can also just forbid that, like any other item.

I think Kovarex sees that and tries, that he doesn't need to solve this "bug" now.

If so, I'm with his opinion. Let's see, if this bug is "useable" and if it is really needed it still can be fixed in 0.10 or 0.11.

Deathmage
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Deathmage »

Leave it in i want to try and use this as a switch :)

DaveKap
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DaveKap »

In my opinion, I'd want to leave it in but when you're building the pole, have the square turn yellow as if to say "it's buildable, but it's dangerous." I'd like to be able to smash trains into things at will. ;)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

For a "switch" there is now this mod: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=5552
And I experimented a bit around with it: There is no real use for that, except for something like a timer, but unless I cannot definitely tell the train to stop and start only when I want to, I think this is useless.

Sidenote: Not, that I didn't try to use the above! I was at a point where I
- Give a locomotive an order, but didn't fill any coal in it, so it waited for coal.
- The coal was given by a smart inserter, which inserted coal in some special situation (power too low).
- The train starts immediately and
- destroys the pole, which unconnects the mining sites, which spares a lot of power.
- After some time the pole was rebuilt by construction bot. That was normally after night.
- After that I needed to catch the train, emptied it and replaced it on start.

Let's say it so: It could be more cumbersome. ;)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

This is fixed now for 0.11.11, thanks for the report.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”