[cube]On >100% GUI Sale, FPS/UPS counter overlaps with minim

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
causeway1
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[cube]On >100% GUI Sale, FPS/UPS counter overlaps with minim

Post by causeway1 »

So I have researched this for a few day and have not found anything on these forums yet. Not want to post as a bug as if it is only my self having this problem I will have to deal with it. But am looking for a work around in the config if anyone can help. Seems the height is throwing off the FPS/UPS counter for some reason. I have 2 screenshots here 1 is full screen windowed mode. The other is windowed and about 2 inches tall or so. I have messed with the GUI setting both ways and neither helps.
Attachments
Screenshot 2016-04-12 05.48.37.png
Screenshot 2016-04-12 05.48.37.png (3.63 MiB) Viewed 5858 times
Screenshot 2016-04-11 22.33.38.png
Screenshot 2016-04-11 22.33.38.png (14.01 MiB) Viewed 5858 times
Last edited by cube on Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Changed title to describe the actual bug

causeway1
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: FPS/UPC counter @3840 x 2160 res. 4k @ 60hz

Post by causeway1 »

wow sorry for the large scrollable images they cam straight from my screenshot

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moved to technical help. Will move to bug report if it is a bug :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Koub wrote:[Koub] Moved to technical help. Will move to bug report if it is a bug :)
It is a bug - the fps counter has a fixed position, so if you use a higher gui scale than 100% the map (also fixed to the right) will start to overlap it.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

OK I'll move it to bug reports and change the topic subject to clearly state what's the problem
[Koub] Topic moved to bug reports
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

causeway1
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: On >100% GUI Sale, FPS/UPS counter overlaps with minimap

Post by causeway1 »

Thanks for the help thus far guys.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: On >100% GUI Sale, FPS/UPS counter overlaps with minimap

Post by Klonan »

Thanks for the report,

This is a bug i guess

causeway1
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [cube]On >100% GUI Sale, FPS/UPS counter overlaps with minim

Post by causeway1 »

Thanks for the response. When I posted this I was not sure if this was a me problem or a tech issue or a bug. If there was a work around or only fix was to change my res back to 1920 x 1080 every time i wanted to play. Either way thanks again.
Also not sure if it was clear but i did try to rescale the gui both ways and all points inbetween.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Fixed for 0.12.31, together with two other high DPI related issues.

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

cube wrote:Fixed for 0.12.31, together with two other high DPI related issues.
Is there any way you could give more details about:
changelog wrote:Fixed several GUI problems on high DPI displays
Because buttons and checkboxes were already quirky, and 0.31 seems to have made it even stranger. There's at least 3 or 4 things that directly affect the success of the techniques in that guide, which I'd like to update for the next stable release if things are changing. I haven't experimented yet to get a good handle on it, but to name a few, checkbox backgrounds don't seem to be predictably sized any more and are no longer centered, check images are no longer centered, check image scaling quality is significantly worse, and a few other things.

What I'm hoping happened is that some of the checkbox/button style properties that previously had no effect (in particular, those related to borders and scaling) either have an effect now, or have different default values, and my habit of keeping things minimal and not including keys with no effects is manifesting a lot of these changes. In that case it should be easily correctable by adding missing style keys. But still, it's causing issues for GUI's with graphical buttons.

A lot of these things are already undocumented and confusing enough already, I wonder if it's worth the new headaches just to fix the FPS counter location.

Also, not sure if related, but this still exists in .31.

Here's one example; in 0.29:

In 0.31:

Also the Advanced Logistics System GUI renders incorrectly now, as well. Note the tiny icons:

Test mode, too.

This fix seems to have had a lot of odd side-effects. At the very least checkboxes no longer seem to be honoring their width and height settings, which is especially problematic when combined with other GUI elements or dealing with images.

Note all of the above were taken with scale set to default (100%) on a 1440x900 display.

At minimum, I'd really at least like to see an update to the style documentation to reflect all these changes, so we can avoid another full round of experimentation to determine the new quirks after an update.

I can file a proper bug report about this; but I don't have enough information yet. I'm trying to figure out a little more about what's going on before I go through all the experiments again (figuring out 0.29 was not a trivial task, so I'm a little hesitant to jump right in).

Btw, fundamentally this all boils down to buttons not having support for images independent of their borders. You could use a composition for good results regardless of scaling but only text is supported. Or you could draw a button, one pixel at a time, with an image and a border but then you end up with poorly scaled results. So checkboxes are the only way out; they're a hack, but before 0.31 checkboxes were the only way to get decent results because they didn't support scaling. Scaling them might be the right thing in theory (although it still doesn't seem to be behaving correctly looking at the above screenshots), but it takes away any remaining power a mod has to get at least somewhat predictable results with images. I could go on about this forever but something's not right about this change; a lot of other things need to be improved first, I think.
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

(PS: It seems checkboxes are scaled now [to about half the size they used to be] but buttons aren't?)
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”