[Resolved] Cannot research anything for some reason

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Zirr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Resolved] Cannot research anything for some reason

Post by Zirr »

So I have 6 labs, all running with full electricity, and they're all (trying to be) researching Iron Working. I have put 20 Science Packs 1 in each of them, which should be more than enough since wiki says 10 for iron working. I have waited like an hour, still nothing. Have I misunderstood how to research or is it really bugging? I have restarted the game and even my computer. I had a look at level.dat, but most of it cannot be interpreted by Notepad++, so I couldn't change what I had researched.
By the way, could you make it possible to open levels in the map editor? It should be possible to my knowledge, since you can spawn entities in the level editor. Just a matter of coding it in.

Thanks in advance for any help :D

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Cannot research anything for some reason

Post by kovarex »

Hi I'm really sorry, there was bug in the research that happened randomly sometimes, we resolved it in version 0.2.6:: http://kovarex.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21

The feature to be able to open save games in map editor will be accessible in the next version.

Marwin

Zirr
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Cannot research anything for some reason

Post by Zirr »

Thank you for the quick reply and the awesome bug fixing :D

azoundria
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [Resolved] Cannot research anything for some reason

Post by azoundria »

You can also press T to change what you are researching.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Resolved] Cannot research anything for some reason

Post by slpwnd »

[/quote]
azoundria wrote:You can also press T to change what you are researching.
But beware:) If you change the technology while researching another one you will lose all the progress you made on the one you were researching originally.
Zirr wrote:I had a look at level.dat, but most of it cannot be interpreted by Notepad++, so I couldn't change what I had researched.
By the way, could you make it possible to open levels in the map editor? It should be possible to my knowledge, since you can spawn entities in the level editor. Just a matter of coding it in.
File level.dat is in a binary format with raw internal data dumped in. We decided to do it this way because the saves are smaller and faster to load than if the format would be interpreted. Loading the level.dat directly
into the map editor is not possible because the format for the map editor and for the save are slightly different. I mean they both contain the dump of the map and entities and everything. But for instance in the map editor format (they are called blueprint.dat by convention) on top of that we store difficulty specifications. However we will soon implement a conversion from the level.dat to the blueprint.dat and that will basically allow you to load a save in the map editor as if you created that in the map editor from scratch. Could be in the next release, but no promises.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”