[0.8.6] Linux doesn't show text

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.8.6] Linux doesn't show text

Post by mngrif »

No text in the Linux version.

http://i.imgur.com/b0x1WsI.png

Happens with both 32bit and 64bit versions. Debian Unstable, Radeon HD 7770 gfx using fglrx drivers (offical ones from AMD). The game plays and images load just fine, I just can't read anything (which makes research impossible, more or less). My terminal gets spammed with these two errors:

Code: Select all

libpng warning: iCCP: cHRM chunk does not match sRGB
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
My Silly Factorian Tricks
<_aD> OBSERVE SIGNAL ASPECT BEFORE CROSSING TRACK

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.8.6] Linux doesn't show text

Post by SilverWarior »

The warnings shown are just telling that some of Factorio graphics files still use old PNG format but they are probably not the cause for text not showing.
I would suspect that problem might actually be that you don't have necessary True Type Font that factorio is using. I'm not sure which fonts Factorio uses by default.

mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mngrif »

SilverWarior wrote:I would suspect that problem might actually be that you don't have necessary True Type Font that factorio is using. I'm not sure which fonts Factorio uses by default.
That's my guess as well, and, yeah, the warnings are just warnings. Doubtfuly the cause of the problem.

Edit: I just installed every (English) font available in the main, non-free, and contrib repos, and still no love. Including mscorefonts. Also this shouldn't matter as the fonts are included under data/core/fonts.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Factorio doesn't use any shared fonts, all used fonts are in the data directory and the game would notice if some would be missing.
To be honest, I have no idea what is causing the problem, did you try with the low graphics option?

mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mngrif »

kovarex wrote:did you try with the low graphics option?
I changed it in the .ini but the text still doesn't show. What's really weird is that after clicking through some menus I've noticed that a couple of characters will show up, but it seems to be random (shown here: http://i.imgur.com/wtp99lA.png and here: http://i.imgur.com/Pa79rfG.png)

This is quite possibly the strangest OpenGL problem I've ever seen. As expected, searching the internet gives me nothing useful to go on.

Other games play fine. *shrug*

Thank you for your hard work, kovarex.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

I am getting loads of these as well during linux x64 factorio startup.

Funny enough.. I get it reversed.
All the text is there, but most of the graphics is missing :D (https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =18&t=1991)

timorl
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by timorl »

I can confirm this happens for me too, exactly the same as for Valkor. I am using gentoo 64bit with fglrx, tried only the demo. Before finding this thread I wanted to install some fonts, but it seems this wouldn't help. Any ideas what else I could try?

Oh, I also tried changing the locale, since this solved a few rare problems in other games, mostly connected to confusing , and . as a decimal separator in data files, but this does nothing.

EDIT: Now also tried launching the game in a separate X server (another random thing that sometimes fixes stuff), but it does not launch - I got the following error:
factorio: addons/audio/alsa.c:313: alsa_update_mmap: Assertion `frames' failed.
Funnily enough I got this error once when starting the game normally, but as this was an isolated incident I decided to just ignore it.

EDIT 2: Decided to try again, since this just seemed too random and the game launched, still no fonts. It still crashed after a few seconds with the same error though, so maybe you should look into that as a stability issue.

mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mngrif »

Still getting it with 0.8.8 :(

timorl
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by timorl »

Uh, maybe lets try doing this properly.

I get this problem running gentoo linux, kernel version 3.10.7, Mobility Radeon HD 5650/5750 with fglrx version 13.9 (maybe I should try the betas), fluxbox as the wm (might be relevant), libpng version 1.5.17-r1 (just including this in case the errors are not completly unrelated). I tried only the demo, 64-bit, version 0.8.8. My best guess so far is that the ati drivers are doing something stupid, since this seems to be the main similarity between my system and Valkor's. I would be grateful if you could post some more information about your system to check if there is something more, if not I'll probably try installing the beta drivers and if this doesn't work, maybe try the open ones. That is quite a lot of work though, so I would prefer not to do it just on a hunch.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

timorl, that's a good idea with graphics drivers. So, Valkor, MF-, what graphics drivers do you have?

Also sorry for the large latencies I have here, but I'm working on 0.9 features meanwhile :-)
I have no idea what I'm talking about.

timorl
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by timorl »

I got around to trying other drivers. Installing the newer closed source ati-driver, version 13.12, did not change anything, the letters still did not appear. As for the open source driver... lets just say that it claimed that I have no screen and I was not in the mood to convince it otherwise. Now I don't want to touch it again, so maybe someone else (looking at you, Valkor <_<) could check if using them helps.

mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mngrif »

cube wrote:timorl, that's a good idea with graphics drivers. So, Valkor, MF-, what graphics drivers do you have?
fglrx 13.12

As for trying the Free drivers, no thanks. Absolutely every single game and application is working perfectly and with acceptable framerates using the official non-free drivers, I'm not willing to sacrifice that for one game.

Thank you for your hard work and dedication.

Wredi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Wredi »

Hi,

since ive the linux version running and encounting the same problem: are there new infos about that? anyone got a work-around?

Regards,
Wredi

mngrif
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mngrif »

Wredi wrote: are there new infos about that? anyone got a work-around?
Nope. As suggested you can try the Free drivers, that would probably fix it.

I'd really like to know what library Factorio uses to render the fonts.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Valkor wrote:I'd really like to know what library Factorio uses to render the fonts.
we use freetype through allegro.
I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Wredi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Wredi »

hi,

any hopes this problem gets resolved in upcoming versions?

/me re-ups that tpoic shamelessly

Regards, Wredi

bearbin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bearbin »

I can confirm that this problem only seems to happen on my Linux x64 with AMD 6850 and fglrx beta from about 6 months ago. It doesn't happen on my linux 32 bit with fglrx and a low end old card.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Hello, we found out, there is missing glyph bug fixed in newest version of allegro.
We could update the allegro and make testing build for you, if you could test if it helps or not.

Could you do it?

Wredi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Wredi »

Hi,

as it seems in the newest Xubuntu 14.04 LTS with enabled fglrx-driver the problem is gone. ive installed factorio 0.9.8 and it dies show text in menu and game everywhere as it should do.

Thanks for your hard work.

Regards, Wredi

timorl
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by timorl »

Just to add some info -- upgrading to ati drivers 14.3 (most likely any 14 would work) from 13.12 seems to fix the problem. Now I can play the demo and finally seriously consider buying the game, yay!

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”