[0.12.4] [kovarex] freeze every 4 seconds

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
boro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.12.4] [kovarex] freeze every 4 seconds

Post by boro »

Sometimes the game will stutter every 4 secs for no apparent reason until restarting the game.
See https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 11&t=13295 and https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =49&t=5607 for the older threads on this subject.

Doesn't seem the 0.12 VRAM optimizations have helped any for me.
My PC is still the same:
i7 2400K @3.4 GHz
8GB ram
Geforce gtx470 (1280 MB), driver version 355.60
onboard nvidia audio
Win7 x64 sp1
game installed on a raid0, appdata on SSD
factorio23.jpg
factorio23.jpg (674.79 KiB) Viewed 9763 times
log file
save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/whnb4zznrcumm ... e.zip?dl=0
mods: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xwuofpysl9nm ... hLvfa?dl=0

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.12.4] freeze every 4 seconds

Post by kovarex »

Well, for starters try to put the multisampling off, and change the video usage to lower value.

The 1280Mb of video memory is enough for base game, but with heavy modding, it is not.

By having lower video usage settings, you let the game leave more pictures in the normal memory.

P.S. The game is slow in the flip method, so it is some of the graphics handling internals of your system.

boro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.12.4] [kovarex] freeze every 4 seconds

Post by boro »

I installed a video card monitoring program and when I load the above save it uses only 982MB VRAM (with 4x multisampling, 954MB without) out of 1280MB.
Next time I run into this freeze thing maybe it will show something interesting :)
The somewhat average flip line on F5 now says flip: 12.814/8.954/14.703 (not that I remotely know what that means).

KNOWFEAR1337
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by KNOWFEAR1337 »

i think i might be getting the same thing as this, i am playing with all of bob's mods which hasn't been a problem before and a few much smaller helper mods; i can post a list of those if i can edit the post am not on my main pc,

but it was small freezes every few seconds from the very start of starting a new game, the only mod in there i haven't used before is the resource spawning overhaul i have also notest my SLI GTX 560 Ti's maxing out usage and dropping to nothing again right after and the game using allot of my 16GB of ram.
its still playable but it is quite annoying and does eat at my enjoyment of the game,
specs:
i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz
16GB RAM
Dx 11
CPU, RAM, GPU, usage when zoomed in and zoomed out
CPU, RAM, GPU, usage when zoomed in and zoomed out
Capture3.PNG (54.66 KiB) Viewed 9626 times
i couldn't upload my mods folder as it timed out but to list them i have
all of bobs mods [-clock]
autofill, air-filtering color-coding, landfill, larger inventory, radar-two, Resource Spawner Overhaul, SupremeWarfare test-mode And both Treefarm-AC +Lite

i have heard that Resource Spawner Overhaul, can cause some lag in the way the game runs, and this is the first time i've used it
Last edited by KNOWFEAR1337 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

KNOWFEAR1337 wrote:i think i might be getting the same thing as this, i am playing with all of bob's mods which hasn't been a problem before and a few much smaller helper mods; i can post a list of those if i can edit the post am not on my main pc,
but it was small freezes every few seconds from the very start of starting a new game, the only mod in there i haven't used before is the resource spawning overhaul i have also notest my SLI GTX 560 Ti's maxing out usage and dropping to nothing again right after and the game using allot of my 16GB of ram.
its still playable but it is quite annoying and does eat at my enjoyment of the game,
Well, if you upload the folder with your mods somewhere, I could at least try to reproduce it.

KNOWFEAR1337
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by KNOWFEAR1337 »

kovarex wrote: Well, if you upload the folder with your mods somewhere, I could at least try to reproduce it.
i have edited my last post with some more details
is there a way i can pm you the mods folder ? i zipped all the mods into a folder on my dropbox

boro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by boro »

So it happened again on like the fifth launch of factorio today. I took some screenshots, restarted the game (left anything running in the background as it was) and then there was no more freezing. I see some major differences in gpu usage. Especially VRAM usage looks suspicious at only 400MB. To me it looks like 800MB normal ram was used instead of VRAM.

freezes:
factorio25.jpg
factorio25.jpg (492.22 KiB) Viewed 9563 times
normal:
factorio27.jpg
factorio27.jpg (485.21 KiB) Viewed 9563 times
freezes:
factorio26.jpg
factorio26.jpg (653.8 KiB) Viewed 9563 times
normal:
factorio28.jpg
factorio28.jpg (652.19 KiB) Viewed 9563 times
logs:
factorio-current - Copy.log
(2.18 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
factorio-current - Copy (2).log
(1.94 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
save
mods

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

For me, this is quite obvious. The time is spent in the flip phase. Which probably means, that the video card is switching things around to handle the fact it doesn't have enough of video memory.

Try changing the Video memory usage in Grpahics from all to high. With this set of mods, it reduces the atlas vram requirements from 807Mb to 525Mb, which might be the amount needed for the card to handle it.

It is also important to know, that lot of programs can eat the vram (and cpu as well) quite quickly. So closing all (or at least most) of the internet pages and other programs might help a lot.

yaatt
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by yaatt »

i chaange this @force-opengl=true and freeze away

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Great, thx.

boro
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by boro »

My videocard failed and I bought a new one with 4GB, so I probably won't be spamming these freeze threads anymore.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”