[0.12.1][Twinsen]Arithmetic Combinator Inconsistent behavior

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
GopherAtl
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.12.1][Twinsen]Arithmetic Combinator Inconsistent behavior

Post by GopherAtl »

I noticed a few days ago that an arithmetic combinator set to do, say, "A + 1" will output nothing if it had no A signal in it's inputs, and that was disappointing but didn't seem like a bug per say. However, I've just found that, actually, it will output nothing only if it has no circuit network as an input. If it's input is wired to something, "A+1" will output 1 even if the input had no A signal on it. At the very least this is inconsistent; if the absence of a signal is meant to be an implied "0" then it shouldn't matter if it's actually wired or not, should it?

pics:

constant combinator - no values set at all, just something to connect the wire to
arithmetic combiner - non-existant '0' incremented and output

(skipping the light, it's just set to '0'>0
as you can see, with nothing wired into input on the combiner, it outputs nothing and the light is off...
wire it to the constant, which is still not outputting a signal on '0', but suddenly, it accepts the implied '0' as 0

I used a constant combinator with no values set, but wiring to anything seems to work - I tried a power pole, a chest, a smart inserter, all had the same behavior.

Obviously this is a minor thing, I figure it's either a 10 minute fix or going to be bumped to "not fixing" for some non-obvious reason, and I won't lose sleep either way, just thought I'd report it; this sort of inconsistency can potentially lead to very confusing situations.

:edit: issue (if you wanna call it that) still present after 0.12.1 update
My Mods:
Nixie Tubes - numeric displays for your circuit networks!
Logistic Combinators - use logistics values in circuit logic! -
Autowire - automate red/green wire connections

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.12.1]Arithmetic Combinator Inconsistent behavior

Post by Twinsen »

This was a minor optimization, but since it is causing confusion I will remove it.

Thanks for the report. Fixed in 0.12.2

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.12.1][Twinsen]Arithmetic Combinator Inconsistent behavior

Post by MF- »

Remove sleeping? seems like an overkill to me.
Can't you just update the combinator output before putting it to sleep or something?

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.12.1][Twinsen]Arithmetic Combinator Inconsistent behavior

Post by MF- »

Should have crated a new thread "combinators not sleeping" I guess..

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”