[12.0][Twinsen]UI scaling to 200% & unable to set it back

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Ojelle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[12.0][Twinsen]UI scaling to 200% & unable to set it back

Post by Ojelle »

Explenation in steno:

Turn UIscaling to 200%
See its bad
Go back to settings
Adjust slider to 100%
-> Can't click ok
-> Can't change it back from ingame

What did I do:
Go to desktop, rotate screen 90°
Get back ingame -> now i can go low enough to click back (ui was to big)

Other solution: Delete the corect config file

So, its annoying, probably not ment to be but not game breaking.
The problem is you cant scroll in the menu, (i assume that) you assume the menu always completely fits on the screen. Now this wasnt the case and i coulndt change it back :)

Need screenshot? More explenation?
Choumiko wrote:
sillyfly wrote:kovarex just posted the thread... but with #118 in the title. I think they had too much beer :D
It's a wonder how good the game is, if you consider how bad they are with the FFF numbers :mrgreen:

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [12.0] UI scaling to 200% & unable to set it back to normal

Post by FishSandwich »

This is a problem.

Usually games deal with this by putting a confirmation prompt up on a timer, and if you don't (or can't) accept the changes, it reverts back. Something like this would solve this problem I think.

Ojelle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ojelle »

That wouldnt work, you can click accept (appears in the middle) but you cant revert. The done/ok/.. button is on the bottem. Scrolling would do it. Or automaticly scaling menu's so they fit in entirely. But the last would be only half a solution and get really ugly if you ever have a big menu.
Choumiko wrote:
sillyfly wrote:kovarex just posted the thread... but with #118 in the title. I think they had too much beer :D
It's a wonder how good the game is, if you consider how bad they are with the FFF numbers :mrgreen:

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Um, could you explain why my idea wouldn't work?

The scenario as I see it, is like this:
Player puts UI scale to 200%
The change is made, and a confirmation box on lets say a 10 second timer pops up with 'keep changes' or 'revert changes'
Outcomes are:
Player can press to keep changes, ending the scenario.
Player can press revert changes, which puts the settings back to what they were.
Player waits 10 seconds if he can't push the button he wants to, and the changes are reverted automatically.

This fixes the problem IMO.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

I agree with FishSandwich solution as it is quote commonly used in many games and even in the Windows itself.

As for repairing of you having to big UI now I suggest you either go and edit the "config.ini" file or simply delete it and the game will load default settings.
The lines in the file you would want to change are:

Code: Select all

system-ui-scale=true
custom-ui-scale=1
Easiest way to find this file is to go into your Factorio directory and then double-click on "config" shortcut in it. This would probably take you to "C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Factorio\config", unless you are using ZIP version where config files are within the Factorio folder itself.

WARNING! Do not delete or modify "default_config.ini" file as that one is used by game in case if no "config.ini" file exists or its damaged to load failsafe default settings.

Ojelle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ojelle »

In the afternoon I'll post a screenshot. But when you have a countdown, normaly the screen 'ok or not ok' is pretty small and in the middle of your screen, so, always clickable. Then, when you want to revert back, you notice you can't. Depends on the location of that confirmation message ofcourse. Screens (later) will explain. Don't have factorio on my laptop.

And @silverwarior, I fixed it already. Still thanks ^^ Your way is a bit easier dough.
Choumiko wrote:

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [12.0][Twinsen]UI scaling to 200% & unable to set it back

Post by Twinsen »

I will probably solve this by making the window movable and adding scrollbars.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Fixed in 0.12.1 by adding scrollbars, so the slider and the back buttons can be accessed no matter the resolution or UI scale.

Unless you play factorio at less than 320x240 resolution.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

How hard would it be to implement to automatically scale the ingame UI while dragging the UI scale trackbar? This would allow users to chose their desired UI scale much easier and probably also prevent them from chosing unsuitable UI scale.
Right now you need to click back for the Ui scale to update.

And yes I'm aware that implementing of this would require ability to scale the ingame UI separately from the options menu UI.

Ojelle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ojelle »

Nice! My first bugreport and its solved very fast ^^
Happy to help!
Choumiko wrote:

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”