[Genhis] [1.1.47] Rotating ghost belt on top of item-on-ground picks it up, regardless of distance

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
mislavcro
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[Genhis] [1.1.47] Rotating ghost belt on top of item-on-ground picks it up, regardless of distance

Post by mislavcro »

A bug/exploit which makes you able to pick up an item on the floor located anywhere on the map.

In my case, it's easily replicable:
  • 1. Place any item on the ground.
  • 2. Get as far away from it as wanted.
  • 3. Place any ghost belt blueprint beneath it.
  • 4. Rotate the blueprint.
Doing this will make you pick up the item, no matter how far away from it you are.

Computer specifications:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • 16 GB DDR4 RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660S
  • Windows 10 20H2

mislavcro
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [1.1.47] Rotating a ghost belt makes you pick up the item on it, regardless of the distance from it

Post by mislavcro »

Yeah I thought so too :)

You can place an extra inserter next to all of your production buildings/stockpiles, so that it places every item you produce on the floor, and if somehow you manage to run out of an item urgently needed far away from it, you can use this for emergency pickups :D

vjbone
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [1.1.47] Rotating ghost belt on top of item-on-ground picks it up, regardless of distance

Post by vjbone »

WTF that's crazy! How you even discover this

mislavcro
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [1.1.47] Rotating ghost belt on top of item-on-ground picks it up, regardless of distance

Post by mislavcro »

vjbone wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:59 pm
WTF that's crazy! How you even discover this
Well, I actually found out about that accidentally. I was right in the middle of redesigning my old turret defense, and was placing down new transport belts for the turrets ammo, rotating it, deleting it, and everything in between.

I was located so far away from the place where turret defense would be built, and started it with exactly empty inventory, and when I was done, I saw that I somehow had some random number of stone in my inventory. I was thinking for good 10 minutes trying to figure out how that stone came in my inventory. My logistic requests were disabled, and there was 0 stone in a huge radius around me. I recalled that when my old turret defense was still active and fighting, it destroyed a few pieces of rock here and there, and I saw some lumps of stone on the floor where I was placing down belts. But that still didn't made sense to me, as I was located so far away from it. I brushed it off, forgot about it, thought that maybe some stray robots brought it when they started their trip from a long distance and maybe just recently finished their trip.

As the turret defense was finishing up, due to my mistake, 1 belt on the defense line was out of the roboport's reach, and rotated incorrectly. I moved the roboport 1 tile to the right, went to press R on the belt to correct it, and by lucks chance there was stone right where that faulty belt was located, and as I pressed the button, the *click* that is heard when you pick up a stack played and the white letters "+1 Stone" started floating on the screen. Seeing and hearing that, it finally made sense!

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

some true hackerz joining my server : Did you know that placing an armor mk2 on the ground for few second makes it recharge faster ?
me curious : Oh really ! that's cool let me try that ...

me joining random server : Did you know that placing an armor mk2 on the ground for a few second makes it sparks lightning ?
unsuspecting victim: No way, look ! ... ohhh what ?!

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Genhis] [1.1.47] Rotating ghost belt on top of item-on-ground picks it up, regardless of distance

Post by boskid »

This issue is now fixed for 1.1.49.

Funny story, this behavior was introduced long time ago intentionally when transport belts were carrying items on ground directly since rotating belts would cause some of the items to be stuck sometimes. This logic should be removed long time ago, i actually fixed it in the expansion branch but i did not notice it was also running for ghost belts. This piece of logic is now also gone in the 1.1.x branch, even if it should be gone long time ago when belts were changed to own items and move them through transport lines.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”