Colonization.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Xisuma
Inserter
Inserter

Colonization.

Post by Xisuma »

An interesting idea popped into my head, probably one other people have already thought of...

So i see factorio as a unique game and im interested to see how its developed to expand on the current experience. This idea i have would perhaps be quite a common theme but would expand the game in a way that plays to its strengths and adds a new dimension that could open up a range of possibilities.

What if you were not a lone survivor on the planet but a group of colonists separated from their people and had to start over again. It would bring purpose to the waves of aliens, you would have to defend your citizens as they repopulate. There could be more challenges added to resource management and providing for your people using your own factories and setups. That would be the charm of this idea, in other games you build a building for food, or water etc. In this game you design the infrastructure from the ground up yourself.

Past the point of expanding and providing for your colonists, the game could expand into further regions like economics and war. I really feel like this would elevate the engaging nature of the game with more management and real progression goals :-)

Hope you like the idea! please let me know what you think

FlamingNx9
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Colonization.

Post by FlamingNx9 »

I would see it in the challenge pack or a mode where you can pick.i would really like to see the colonists do some complex stuff like controlling a turret,building simple farms,chopping down trees and other stuff

Blackmoor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Blackmoor »

Depends on how the developers want the story to proceed. The idea of colonization might be good for a sequel, but I have no idea what they are planning. Currently, it seems like the goal of this game is simply to rebuild a space ship and leave the hostile planet. Geneticists estimate you'd need 160 people (80 men and 80 women) to avoid incest and you have to estimate a lot of people would die as well. So where would all these people come from? Like I said, it could be good for a sequel. I like the lonely survival aspect of the game, however this meeting allies would be refreshing. They don't have to be humans. It might be fun to find a pet or met an alien to keep the player company.

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

well, i thought that the point of the rocket defense was so that colony ships could land.

with colonists the players job would first be create habitation domes and food supply, and following missions could center on an expansion campaign

this could lead to development missions where you need to build a base and have a resource flow to an outside point, possibly through a helipad type cargo store

also there could be conquer and control, where you have to push into an area and kill creepers to get more land for the colony...

OR have Border securing missions where you have a time limit to build defense post over a choke point...

even with a colony there are still ways for the player to be on the bleeding edge of pioneering.

it reminds me of the catteni sequence by anne mccaffery where humans were enslaved and some were used to "break in" a new planet by dropping tens of thousands of slaves onto new planets with only a week of food and some crude tools. the main protagonist spends nearly all the time in these books scouting and helping the colony expand.

Xisuma
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xisuma »

Blackmoor wrote:Geneticists estimate you'd need 160 people (80 men and 80 women) to avoid incest and you have to estimate a lot of people would die as well. So where would all these people come from?
Well in this game a lone survivor builds factories and develops research by himself i think its fair to say accurate realism isn't a problem ;-)

THENIRL
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by THENIRL »

I like the idea of having progressively more stuff to do and build, and the colonization approach seems best suited!

Blackmoor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Blackmoor »

Xisuma wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:Geneticists estimate you'd need 160 people (80 men and 80 women) to avoid incest and you have to estimate a lot of people would die as well. So where would all these people come from?
Well in this game a lone survivor builds factories and develops research by himself i think its fair to say accurate realism isn't a problem ;-)
Thing is that you could clone yourself and a few other survivors, but genetic diversity is still required. I guess a science fiction solution to that problem would be to create a genetic re-sequencer to 'design' clones to be genetically diverse from one another. I have no idea whether that would work, but it's an idea.

Mysteria9
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mysteria9 »

Interesting!
As long as it's in a separate game mode, you have my vote!

Tjakka5
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Tjakka5 »

Ha Xisuma, didnt know you were active on this forum.

As your Idea goes.
First off, I think it would be a heck of a lot work for the makers, and some people might find them ''irritatin', like the villagers from minecraft.
However, as a gamemode, or a addition to a map, I would support it!

Parthon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Parthon »

This idea sounds awesome. I really want something to build besides research factories, and a colony would make it awesome.

Farms could deplete the fields and colonist domes could take heaps of resources (more than even blue research). And you would have to expand the farms just to keep up with more colonists.

I give it 4 planets worth of upvotes.

THENIRL
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by THENIRL »

I'd also like to see something in the line of feeding the colony. Maybe fishfarms and cattle ranches but in the Factorio style: we'd need to actually build a production line to get the products from animals into processed food, that would be a cool addition, at least for campaign. Who knows, if human soldiers become available that could become a prerequisite!

techno_letsgo
Inserter
Inserter

People

Post by techno_letsgo »

Joined. -- ssilk

When creating your factory in single player, the lore is that you are readying the planet for more men. So, lets do just that! People will be coming every session (1 day, 2 day, i'll leave that up for the devs) and they will demand shelter, electricity, and water. And homes? They need that too.

People: What they want
1. A house
2. Electricity
3. Water

People: Cons
1. Use up alot of electricity
2. They want space to themselves
3. Theres too many!!
4. its required
5. Sweet spot for alien attacks

People: Pros
1. They will pay you. Right now there's no use for money, but maybe there will be a space merchant that can visit you and sell things. (Paid with work?)
2. You can select whether or not you want people to come when you generate the world

Houses:
The first houses will be simple wood houses. These wood houses will be a 5x5 space, and will consume coal instead of electricity.
The next set of houses will be brick houses, and they will be suburban like the ones in real life. (no more coal needed at this point)
The next set of houses is an apartment building
The final set of houses is a skyscraper.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”