Rens2Sea's gigantic list of ideas and suggestions

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Rens2Sea
Inserter
Inserter

Rens2Sea's gigantic list of ideas and suggestions

Post by Rens2Sea »

During my 74-hour game i've written down some ideas that came to mind while playing.

Trains
  1. More wagon types, fast, slow, big, small.
  2. Flatbed wagons that can carry chests, for logistic purposes.
  3. More locomotive types, steam, electric, dual-headers.
  4. More rail types, electric, monorail, maglev.
  5. Currently the game is using block signals, but what about path signals? (See OpenTTD)
  6. A better way to lay down rails, especially the corners.
Robots
  1. Demolisher robots
    Researching this will add a little button to the interface. When clicking on it the player can then click on a building or drag a box around some buildings. This will mark them for demolition.
    The robots will come and demolish the building and take them to storage. If there is no storage they will leave the item on the ground. (This seems to be added in 0.9, somewhat.)
  2. A way to click through logistic/constructor robots, you try to demolish something underneath a swarm of robots.
Logistics
  1. A Smart splitter. Use wires to check for stuff. For example move everything to the left lane if there are less than 100 iron plates in storage, else pick the right lane.
  2. The ability to save filters and requests from smart inserters and chests.
  3. Logistics item limit selection (smart inserters, chests), make it go higher or give it a textbox input.
  4. A way to power up/down items with wires, like turn on an inserter when there are more than 100 copper plates in a chest, then turn it off again when it's emptied. Right now i need to use an elaborate wiring system to do that, like this:
    Elaborite wiring system
  5. An easier way to quickly copy requester chests logistics, shift-right click almost never works for me.
Defenses
  1. Rocket turrets
  2. Modular turrets
    Turrets that start out with just the base but requires modules in them to work, and these can be combined.
    For example a turrent that has a rocket launcher and a flame thrower on it.
  3. Proximity Detector
    Detect hostiles in the neighbourhood and show a specific (customizable?) message about it. No longer "3 buildings are under attack" but for example "West wall turrets are engaging the enemy".
Gear
  1. An armor module that allows you to stand still on a belt.
  2. Faster pickaxe, perhaps a portable drill?
Crafting
  1. A way to change the order of crafting priorities. Say you are crafting something that requires a lot of resources and time but you need to quickly craft a Belt you have to cancel the previous crafting order. Allow us to rearrange them somehow.
Buildings
  1. Floor tiles (concrete etc) to build on the ground. Perhaps make buildings that are build on floor tiles perform better. Player moves faster on them.
System
  1. Fullscreen windowed option.
  2. Giant screenshots, really really big screenshots of the area.
    Screenshot
Terrain
  1. Growing trees, more tree types, make trees self-healing.
  2. Terrain elevation, can be as simple as Command & Conquer, with cliff tiles breaking up the plains, faking real elevation.
    Screenshot
  3. More exploration, abandoned bases, crashed ships etc.
  4. Add an 'infinite' option to the richness list of resources in the map generation dialog.
Monsters
  • Wildlife that's not hostile by nature. Of different sizes. Think Jurassic Park.
  • "Blood moon", there is a certain percentage chance that a night will have much much much more enemies. Think the movie Pitch Black.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Rens2Sea's gigantic list of ideas and suggestions

Post by ssilk »

Rens2Sea wrote:Trains
Robots
Everything already suggested. :) If not other commented I take away the already suggested stuff.
Logistics
[*] A Smart splitter. Use wires to check for stuff. For example move everything to the left lane if there are less than 100 iron plates in storage, else pick the right lane.
Well, that is a kind of new. Hm. But there are many other ideas in that direction.
[*] The ability to save filters and requests from smart inserters and chests.
[*] An easier way to quickly copy requester chests logistics, shift-right click almost never works for me.
Blueprints and better copy function in 0.9.
[*] Logistics item limit selection (smart inserters, chests), make it go higher or give it a textbox input.
More than 20,000 items? That's crazy. :) hmm, please can you explain why?!
[*] A way to power up/down items with wires, like turn on an inserter when there are more than 100 copper plates in a chest, then turn it off again when it's emptied. Right now i need to use an elaborate wiring system to do that, like this:
Also it is AFAIK planned, here the question to the why, because I didn't understand, what you wanted to show.
Defenses
[*] Modular turrets
Turrets that start out with just the base but requires modules in them to work, and these can be combined.
For example a turrent that has a rocket launcher and a flame thrower on it.
Nice idea. :)
[*] An armor module that allows you to stand still on a belt.
Hm, had this situation: belts of belts between narrow lakes, then I need to fix something. I removed some stuff first, so that I could stand. Well, the question is, how, but the need is there.
[*] Faster pickaxe, perhaps a portable drill?
Questionable. With 0.9 the construction bots will also deconstruct stuff for you.
[*] Giant screenshots, really really big screenshots of the area.
Hm. Very good. The problem is eventually, that the grafix is made with the video card, not CPU.
[*] "Blood moon", there is a certain percentage chance that a night will have much much much more enemies. Think the movie Pitch Black.
Already suggested, but I like that much. I think to the elevation around a big gas planet, like in Pitch black. The elevations are foreseeable.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

logarithm
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by logarithm »

If i could take only one, i would take "smart splitters".

I would take next "A way to change the order of crafting priorities", "blood moon" and "gigantic screenshoots of area".

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Hello, thank you for the list.

Btw:
Rens2Sea wrote: Robots
  1. Demolisher robots
    Researching this will add a little button to the interface. When clicking on it the player can then click on a building or drag a box around some buildings. This will mark them for demolition.
    The robots will come and demolish the building and take them to storage. If there is no storage they will leave the item on the ground. (This seems to be added in 0.9, somewhat.)
  2. A way to click through logistic/constructor robots, you try to demolish something underneath a swarm of robots.
Already prepared for 0.9
Take a look at this preview:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=357724597701225

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”