The Satellite

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

andbruu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

The Satellite

Post by andbruu »

Hi, first post on the forum, and would start by saying that I just love this game.
NB: English is not my first language, so BEAR with me.

But while the game is very deep, I do think it needs some width. As I'm a re-starter (not only in this game, but almost all games) I tend to do the same things over and over. Therefore I started to think of additional content that I thought would fit the game. So the game is about building a factory on a hostile planet, to prep for the rest of earths forces.
Also, I thought that it would be great to have some sort of project for the player to build on, instead of an ever expanding factory of "more-of-the-same".

So my idea is for the player to work on a satellite orbiting the planet.

1st) Build a launch platform for a space rocket (expensive in raw materials).
2nd) Build a space rocket (requires fuel from the coming oil-update)
3rd) Build a satelite module (expensive in science packs and solar panels)
4th) Launch satelite.
Onwards) Build and launch additioanl rockets and modules to enhance the satelite.

Use))
The satellite charge up energy which can be used by the different modules the player adds later.

=== Effect Modules ===
Modules that adds a usable ability to the satellite

Scan Module)
Energy cost: cheap
From the world map, the player choose to reveal an area of 5x5 chunks.
Additional copies of this module increase the area by one chunk in each direction.

Heat Ray)
Energy cost: expensive
From the world map, target a 5x5 chunk area. Slowly convert coast areas to land, and remove (burn) trees in the selected area.
Additional copies of this module increase the area by one chunk in each direction.

Drone AI Module)
From the world map, select a 5x5 chunk area. Drones in the area move 30% faster for X minutes.

Geomagnetic Array)
Energy cost: expensive
From the world map, select a 5x5 chunk area. Reveal any "hidden" mineral patches in an area.
IN EFFECT: low chance to spawn a new mineral field, but not if the area have already been "searched before".

Target Lock)
From the world map, select a 1x1 chunk area. The closet CRUISE MISSILE build by the player, will strike that, or near that chunk.
Additional copies of this module will increase the chance of hitting the selected chunk.
CRUISE MISSILES: Require a new building, that must then be loaded with a space rocket and some explovsive rockets.
OR the cruise missile could be mounted on a vehicle (the car or a truck), instead of/in addition to a new building.
The cruise missile should be some "ultimate weapon" for those of us who would like to focus more on building, than on personal combat.

Beamed Power Module)
Energy cost: none - always in effect
Connect all electric networks that contain an ORBITAL ENERGY RELAY.
Only one module allowed.
ORBITAL ENERGY RELAY: A new building, which also works as a substation.

Tactical Module)
From the world map, select a 5x5 chunk area. All turrets in the area deal an additional 20% damage.

=== Upgrade Modules ===

Expanded Solar Module)
Each such module increase energy generation.

Battery Module)
Increase maximum stored energy. One is required to use any "expensive" ability.
Multiple battery modules increase storage again.

FTL Communicator)
Earth forces will not arrive before you can call them on this FTLC.
(FTL = Faster than light)

=== REPAIR MODULE ===
NB: Thoughs in progress on this one. Works as a resource sink by adding upkeep.

Over time the satellite takes damage. The more modules it have, the faster it will take damage.
With zero health left, the satellite will be destroyed, and the player must start over on building it.

Repair modules fully repairs the satellite, thous creating an intensive to repair it as late as possible.

After having added a handfull of modules, players may find it nessecery to automate the construction of repair modules and space rockets, and create a launch schedule via the launch pad building.
Ofcource the fueling of space rockets at the pad (they can only be fueled at the pad) may require the player to build another pad, for launching other modules.

=== OTHER ===
DONT build the launch pad close to your factory, as nearby building will take damage during launch.

MODULES and SPACE ROCKETS can only be transported by rail, and require a special train cart. The cart has a train, to load the rocket from a assembling machine, and onto itself. It will also place the stuff on the launch pad. The launch pad conects to pipes, in order to receive fuel.

Aliens just loves to attack launch pads, and each launch generates ALOT of pollution.

=== FINAL ===
Know that this is not some minor addition, but the thoughts were there, so might as well post em. Hope to get some comments on this.
NB: Havent put much though into it balance wise, mostly concept.

Pandamonium
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: The Satellite

Post by Pandamonium »

There are some ideas in your posts that are quite interesting.

But when you mentioned Depth vs Width (yes I know you mentioned English not your primary language), it made me think what your suggesting is more depth, not width. But that's not my point, what I want to say is that "width" is a good suggestion.

E.g. maybe add more "Game Complete" triggers? so that players can choose to play slightly differently to win?

1. Build Space Rocket (as currently)
2. Conquerer: Build your base out over X tiles. (end game story line is the aliens now fear you etc)
3. Bioengineer: Capture x aliens, research reverse genome (end Game story line is you are now commander of all aliens on this planet)

anyway, just some ideas that spawned in my head when you mentioned "Width".
:)

andbruu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by andbruu »

The width think i sbecause this adds a new production line, as opposed to changing current production lines. I get that its not epic width.

Thanks for your comments, and I like the concept of more victory conditions, especially if the path to them are somewhat different.

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

I skimmed a bit, there will probably be some balancing issues, but the ideas themselves are cool and fresh!
Ignore this

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I have to admit, that I love this direction, the game would have another phase, and I feel like it would be the coolest one :)

The game phases:
  • Mining with a pick
  • Mining automation and semi automated production
  • Research and bigger production facilities
  • Larger scale production with different logistics solutions (trains/logistic robots)
  • (Since 0.9) Advanced material processing including chemical plants plastics and more
  • (Since 0.9) Large scale (blueprint powered) automated building/deconstruction
  • (Since X) Conquering the space again and controlling the planet from above.
Edit: I'v told Tomas and he likes it as well, so .. someday in the future we might sit down and think about it more.

andbruu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by andbruu »

Glad I could bring some inspiration. One thing that I think the game needs, and that this might add, is a reason to have multiple locations, and not just one single factory. Launching rockets into space pose a danger to normal buildings, and as such the launch area must be some distance from the factory that produce the parts for the project.

andbruu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by andbruu »

Returning to my old idear, after having read some posts involving debug screen, for looking at pollution, a Satellite may also be upgraded to track pollution (if debug screen is removed from final version) and predict creeper attacks.

AlexPhoenix
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlexPhoenix »

at all idea of space i think, that may be add somethink like space layer with spaceport to transfering items?

andbruu
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by andbruu »

AlexPhoenix wrote:at all idea of space i think, that may be add somethink like space layer with spaceport to transfering items?
Something like low orbit transport lanes? They might compete with trains, and be a bit like logistic robots. Maybe they have a minimum distance, and require alot of liqued fuel. Alternativly they do not have a minimum distance, but transport time is fixed to say... 3 minutes regardless of distance.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”