bridges, boats, oceans, depleting water

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MCDomYT
Inserter
Inserter

bridges, boats, oceans, depleting water

Post by MCDomYT »

Eventually there should be bridges to go over water, large masses of water which means boats can come in handy and also depleting water! You put a pump down and the water slowly drains around it eventually drying up leaving more land to walk on(maybe some underwater items)
Thanks
MCDomYT
(Dom)

http://www.youtube.com/MCDomYT

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: bridges, boats, oceans, depleting water

Post by TGS »

I definitely agree with the various modes of water passage options. (Bridges, boats etc) though aside from the odd instance here and there of really REALLY large bodies of water it may not really be warranted. It would be somewhat silly to have a boat to cross a small lake.

As far as the water depletion, I agree to a point. If you end up with depletion of water it would have to it at a very small rate and there should be some system (rain) to replenish the water. I'm kind of on the fence with this one because it would be a neat feature but at the same time it could be annoying for those who want to rely on pumps and don't want to have to keep moving their power generation. Though this might become more realistic when other sources of energy are added and are more practical.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I would like that. If someone pumps too much water out of a small like, the lake dries out.

That, what formerly was a shield is now gone. If you stop pumping, the lake refills... You might be able to fill water from one lake to another, the result is, that the lake flows over, while the other runs dry. A mall water begins to flow. A wall isn't needed anymore.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

MCDomYT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MCDomYT »

TGS wrote: be annoying for those who want to rely on pumps and don't want to have to keep moving their power generation. Though this might become more realistic when other sources of energy are added and are more practical.
maybe a train wagon for liquid ;)
Thanks
MCDomYT
(Dom)

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

MCDomYT wrote:
TGS wrote: be annoying for those who want to rely on pumps and don't want to have to keep moving their power generation. Though this might become more realistic when other sources of energy are added and are more practical.
maybe a train wagon for liquid ;)
Yeah I imagine those 'options' might be available in the next patch actually (0.9.x) at least with regards to moving of liquid. Would be interesting either way. I'm torn in some ways. I like limited resources, but at the same time I think there should be distinctly renewable resources as well. Like for example tree's should be renewable. The only main 'issue' with that would be the fact that they can be used as fuel and that might sort of break game balance. But that could be handled in a way that ties the efficiency to the growth/health of the tree. So unless you let a tree 'grow' for an hour or two you'll never get it's full potential as fuel. Which would stop people creating large tree farms for 'infinite' fuel. The same could be handled for it's absorption effect.

As far as renewable water... I think that's a difficult balance. I think if you are going to have water deplete there should also be a way of it naturally renewing. A balance between pumping/pollution and renewal for example. Would be interesting to see how they spin it if they did do it that way.

MCDomYT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MCDomYT »

TGS wrote: As far as renewable water... I think that's a difficult balance. I think if you are going to have water deplete there should also be a way of it naturally renewing. A balance between pumping/pollution and renewal for example. Would be interesting to see how they spin it if they did do it that way.
Would be nice for rain. Polluted areas produce polluted water which affect steam engines power production
Thanks
MCDomYT
(Dom)

Undermind
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Undermind »

Dried lake should leave pit in the ground, so you need 3D landscape for that. And this is quite huge change that affects many aspects of the game.

MCDomYT
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MCDomYT »

Undermind wrote:Dried lake should leave pit in the ground, so you need 3D landscape for that. And this is quite huge change that affects many aspects of the game.
if it went 3d, it would be nice but it would make the feel away from the game atm
Thanks
MCDomYT
(Dom)

azoundria
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by azoundria »

I think basic bridges are really simple. They just change the water into a square of brick, which is now passable. You just build them from stone bricks and place them.

Boats could be cars that can only go on water. And it would be cool if there was a hybrid vehicle that could go on both water and land.

Oceans make sense if water can be dealt with in a couple ways, and no sense otherwise.

I would leave depleting water for now, as that introduces a lot of complexity and adds little to the game itself.

Sammy_D4897
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Boat

Post by Sammy_D4897 »

joining ... nothing to say ... :) -- ssilk

-------------------------------------------
I feel you should add a boat as an earlier game way to get thru water.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”