More types of rail curves

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

More types of rail curves

Post by lilstrip »

I thought I wouldn't have to say it because someone else would bring this up but I guess I have to!
It has bine for ever that I waited for anything like this! Trains going 50 km/h cannot make a 45* turn a dime!

We need more types of rails to fix this:

- S Bends

- short 90* curves

- REALLY REALLY LONG 45* Bends

- Flexible drag/click rail building tool. Look at Train Fever, with a script you could make a train track texture that would strech and bend to the player's desire whilst still keeping the angle illusion by probably switching between different rail texture angles, a bit like how the tank-car-train and turrets are stored as multiple images.

And last but not least, can you please make wagons with turrets on them and make different types of locomotives/wagon types with different look. Trains are what makes the game a blast and having such a limit when it comes to trains is really a bummer!
Last edited by daniel34 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: recmoved caps in title

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: More types of rail curves

Post by ske »

See this post in FFF #113: http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-113

They are working on it but it will take some time until we see new rail tiles.

The reason for not having many different rail tiles was, that you then need many many different items and they want to keep the item type count low (ok, it isn't exactly low but they want to avoid having hundreds of different item types). The new rail building achieves this by only consuming straight tiles but placing straight and different kinds of curved tiles, so the first step to getting new kinds of rail curves is done.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

ske wrote:See this post in FFF #113: http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-113

The reason for not having many different rail tiles was, that you then need many many different items and they want to keep the item type count low (ok, it isn't exactly low but they want to avoid having hundreds of different item types). The new rail building achieves this by only consuming straight tiles but placing straight and different kinds of curved tiles, so the first step to getting new kinds of rail curves is done.
Exactly

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Moved from General to Suggestions. Left a link behind.

Nice to see, that our hopes are heard. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

kovarex wrote:
ske wrote:See this post in FFF #113: http://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-113

Exactly
Can we have full 90 degree curves that don't need a diagonal piece in the middle?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I've made an overview article. The above question is answered there, when you read the linked articles.
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtop ... 80&t=19953
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

Thank you!

this is definitly one of the best comunity out there! Wow you guys answered super quick and even made a thread for it! That is amazing!

:D :)

Kewlhotrod
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Kewlhotrod »

I don't understand whats the limitation of having more items?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Takes more room in your inventory, and it's not that justified, as it has no additional gameplay value. Imagine the opposite : You could have a right to left rail, a left to right rail, a down to up rail, an up to down rail, rails turning right, left, in each direction, ...
It would make yout rail system awfully complicated to build, you'd need half of your inventory slots taken by rail, and there would be no benefit from it.

On the other hand, a single rail type that can fulfill all your rail needs, that's efficient :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”