Production Calculator?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
billw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Production Calculator?

Post by billw »

Is there one? i.e. Input what product you want and at what rate, and it will tell you how many of each factory you need? As a bonus you can input techs you have, or whether you want to use production bonuses.

gullfounder
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Production Calculator?

Post by gullfounder »

I was looking something similar. But Such mechanics should be in game rather then outside.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

gullfounder wrote:I was looking something similar. But Such mechanics should be in game rather then outside.
I don't think so. Working that out is at least in some part half the fun, and simply showing the players ingame what they need for what is taking away a lot. Players wouldn't try around for themselves (maybe making big misjudgments for their production needs on the way), they would simply see what they need and try to build exactly the factories they need for a production. I think that takes away too much. I got no problem with some kind of production calculator from a 3rd party at all, I was even looking myself for something like that for a while. I just don't think it should be in the game in that form.

That said, there is something around that helps calculate the needs for a production line, but I think it's not exactly what you're looking for. I am searching for it for 15 minutes now, but can't find it... If I stumble across it on some point, I'll post it here. Maybe someone else still got the link for it.

gullfounder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gullfounder »

GewaltSam wrote:
gullfounder wrote:I was looking something similar. But Such mechanics should be in game rather then outside.
I don't think so. Working that out is at least in some part half the fun, and simply showing the players ingame what they need for what is taking away a lot. Players wouldn't try around for themselves (maybe making big misjudgments for their production needs on the way), they would simply see what they need and try to build exactly the factories they need for a production. I think that takes away too much. I got no problem with some kind of production calculator from a 3rd party at all, I was even looking myself for something like that for a while. I just don't think it should be in the game in that form.

That said, there is something around that helps calculate the needs for a production line, but I think it's not exactly what you're looking for. I am searching for it for 15 minutes now, but can't find it... If I stumble across it on some point, I'll post it here. Maybe someone else still got the link for it.
You know you might be right. But One thing is really needed in game though. Planning! There should be some way to plan factory setup before we actually build it. It just simulates the setup and what will be pro or cons in the setup.

For Example if you have played the game called Prison Architect. you can plan your prison with everything can have in the game. I mean things that will unlocked later can also be placed.

So we have this kinda of feature in the game.

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

Well, I have made such an Excel-Sheet with a LOT of formulas :) It's in half english, half german, and mostly undocumented.

It works perfectly, if you know how to use it. It includes calculating all speeds and all yields with modules. If you manage to find out how to use it, feel free to do so, but I have no time to give support using it :)

There is one sheet where you can calculate machine speeds and yield with different modules. These speeds and yield you can insert in the other sheets. Some Production chains are already implemented. I will work on the sheet over time and on the next update, the link will always have the updated version, but as said, at own risk and without further support :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/4sf ... nHard.xlsx

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

gullfounder wrote:You know you might be right. But One thing is really needed in game though. Planning! There should be some way to plan factory setup before we actually build it. It just simulates the setup and what will be pro or cons in the setup.

For Example if you have played the game called Prison Architect. you can plan your prison with everything can have in the game. I mean things that will unlocked later can also be placed.

This sounds interesting. Lately I thought: Why do I need to keep up minimum one of each item I want to built in my inventory, while I place everything as ghost? I mean, that makes just no sense...

As you say: I want to place stuff, which isn't even researched yet.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

DarkenDragon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DarkenDragon »

one feature you might have over looked is the production window, by default the key binding for it is "p"

it'll show you what the consumption and production of each item within your world.

though it wont say how much consumption it wants to do, it'll state how much it is doing. so if your prouduction and consumption are equal amounts and you find that in your system you have non of those items, (this is usually copper cable or circuit boards) then its a good idea to make more production of that item.

though it doesnt help solve the problem of planning a head of time, but thats something you should be thinking of while your building it. eventually you can build blueprints that you can use to plan stuff out, though thats pretty late in the game.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

For most productions, it's by the way not too hard to do it by yourself.

For example, a green circuit assembly needs the production of 1 1/2 copper wire assemblies per cycle (a cycle for both products is 0.5 seconds; you get 2 copper wires per cycle and you need 3 copper wires per cycle). So if you like four circuit assemblies to produce with full efficiency, you'll need six copper wire assemblies and a way to get that wire without delay (like a full belt or too slow inserters) to your circuit assemblies. You could go from there.
I even tend to write down complicated productions down to get a better view of things. But i think if you get the hang of it, it's not too hard at all. And to be honest, most productions don't need to be able to run full power at all times.

Sure, a calculator will help a lot though, and i guess that's what you're getting at :)

scrangos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by scrangos »

ssilk wrote:
gullfounder wrote:You know you might be right. But One thing is really needed in game though. Planning! There should be some way to plan factory setup before we actually build it. It just simulates the setup and what will be pro or cons in the setup.

This sounds interesting. Lately I thought: Why do I need to keep up minimum one of each item I want to built in my inventory, while I place everything as ghost? I mean, that makes just no sense...

As you say: I want to place stuff, which isn't even researched yet.
Someone made a mod thatd help a lot with this, https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=4022

Return to “General discussion”