Topics and discussion about specific mods
jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[MOD 0.12.11+]Pneumatic Tubes[0.2.2] 16th October

Post by jorgenRe »

Pneumatic Tubes

Description:
Send items through a pneumatic network super fast!

Details:

Factorio Version: 0.12.6
Released: July 20th 2015
License: Too big of hazzle to get one ;)!
Tags: transport, 4th, fast, extreme

Download:
PneumaticTransport_0.2.2.zip
For Factorio versions from 0.12.11+
(16.33 KiB) Downloaded 511 times
Downlaod for 0.12.11 below.

--Long Description--
What can you do with this mod?
Have an outer outpost that needs some types of items every now and then?
No problem just create a pneumatic network to there and have it find the logistic requester chests at the outpost, if it sees an item missing it will automatically request those items from the logistic network the supplying chest is in. Then very quickly it will send the items to the outpost!

Forgot something when building your outpost?
Fear no more just go to your nearest pneumatic requester and put in a request in a nearby logistic requesting chest!

just remember to have all the items available for the pneumatic supplying chest!

And so it continues on :)!

Currently it only adds the functionality, but energy usage is planned(if i manage to get it to work, though i got a way to do it in mind)
So if you wish to go and trye it out and possibly give feedback then both of those are very apreciated :)!
So how does it work?
First you have to create a network consisting of 1 Pneumatic Requester, 1 Pneumatic Supplier and any amount of nodes.
Then you can follow the picture numbers:
1. Place down a connector, it is immediantly placed back into your inventory again!
2. Hover over a Pneumatic supplier until it says: "pneumatic supplier connected..."
3. Hover over a node (can be repeated multiple times
4. Hover over a pneumatic requester.

So how does it work?
A pneumatic requester will find normal logistic requesting chests in a set radius of 20 from itself. It will then check if all of the requests in the requester chests are met. Then if there isn't anymore left of the requested item, the pneumatic requester will request the full amount of requested items from the pneumatic supplier it is connected to.
If even the pneumatic supplier doesn't contain the requested item, then it will set itself to request that item from the logistic system it is in, until it gets the required items and sends it away.
Remember to keep the pneumatic supplier filled with pneumatic capsules as it is what it sends the items in! 1 capsule sends 1 item.

Now what is the benefit?
It sends the required items superquick through underground pipes!!(pipes to be added)
Easily setup outposts to have specific items available at all times!

Idea came from this thread by SSilk
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=7150

What is to come next?
Going to look into changing the way items are sent so different tiers can transfer different amounts, not much more, but a little. Tier 1 1 item every 2 seconds. Tier 2 2 items every two seconds and Tier 3 4 items every 2 seconds(Though very expensive(super reinforced capsules and pipes for example :P?)
To do so i will be needing to change some parts of the code(Cheching how much items are needed to be sent since well i do really not want to make it much more CPU intensive ;)(THough i dont think it is, or will be :) )
Automatically have your Pneumatic Requester request things that was just destroyed, but not found in a nearby chest!

Unleass no problems arrive, i will most likely be mainly working on creating a new model for the entities!
Then after that i thought it might be cool to include a sound effect 8-)!

Changelog:
V. 0.2.1 Compatible with Factorio 0.12.0!
V. 0.2.0
Improved the item transfer, since now it will transfer items to a near perfect transfer!
Decreased transfer speeds from 50 items per second :? ... To a nice low 1 item every 2 seconds :twisted: !
Bug fixes
V. 0.1.1 Added required tech and actual recipes!
V. 0.1.0 First stable release so lots of bugfixes behind!

Edit
HOLY moly this is to be remembered my 100 th post it is 14th June 2015 :)!
Attachments
PneumaticTransport_0.2.1.zip
For Factorio versions BELOW 0.12.11
(16.34 KiB) Downloaded 2098 times
Last edited by jorgenRe on Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:04 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.11.22]Pneumatic Tubes 0.1.0 [Stable!]

Post by ssilk »

Impressive, that my suggestions are taken up. So I'm forced to test it very thoroughly. :)

I moved it to mods, even if it is "in progress", because I think the "Work in progress" mods are more for unstable stuff.

And to make it more understandable (correct me, if I write something wrong):

- Pneumatic requester searches for REQUESTS in it's surrounding (*)
- if the requests are not fulfilled, it forwards the requests to the connected pneumatic suppliers.
- Which are sending then the needed stuff to the pneumatic requester (**).
- But you need for every item a capsule, which is needed, to send it through the pipes.
- Cause the capsules are a bit expensive and jamming the chests, they must be transported back via train/belt/logistic bots.

This is useful for:
- building
- military
far outside of your factory area.

(*) the original idea was about requests inside a whole logistic networks, but I think this is currently not implementable as mod.
(**) perhaps it is better to change the names "requester" and "supplier" or find new names for them. See original thread.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

SSilk wrote:Impressive, that my suggestions are taken up. So I'm forced to test it very thoroughly. :)
Thanks that is great to hear :)!
I moved it to mods, even if it is "in progress", because I think the "Work in progress" mods are more for unstable stuff.
I was a bit worried that the thread had been taken down when i checked :?
And now i'm in a rush to implement new recipies, and to put all of the things in the correct tech places, and so on :o!
- Pneumatic requester searches for REQUESTS in it's surrounding (*)
- if the requests are not fulfilled, it forwards the requests to the connected pneumatic suppliers.
- Which are sending then the needed stuff to the pneumatic requester (**).
Already implemented :)! Only thing is that i don't currently have a way for the pneumatic suppliers to "talk" with each other. So it may make them all trye to fullfill the same requests if the logistic requester is within reach. Though i think i should be able to implement that if needed.
- But you need for every item a capsule, which is needed, to send it through the pipes.
- Cause the capsules are a bit expensive and jamming the chests,
That is already implemented, though
they must be transported back via train/belt/logistic bots.
I don't see a full reason to force the player to do that, though i had in mind a way of upgrading the network to be able to send pneumatic capsules back again.
(**) perhaps it is better to change the names "requester" and "supplier" or find new names for them. See original thread.
[/quote]
Well i thinki it's perfectly understandable the way it is right now, and when i get around to doing it i will also be creating new graphics.

Edit:
I think also that mods should be allowed in the WIP section until all the basics are done, and the AUTHOR of the mod say they are ready to move out.
Logo

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

jorgenRe wrote:
I don't see a full reason to force the player to do that, though i had in mind a way of upgrading the network to be able to send pneumatic capsules back again.
Well, it's your mod, you can do it as you like. :)

I want to explain the original idea: The sense of this "rule" was, that the player doesn't use this system as a new type of mass-transport. It was thought for high-prio, high-speed transport over long distances for very small to small amounts of items. Especially for building stuff in far outposts. And I think it is important to prevent, that it is used for ore-transport for example. :)

But who knows: Maybe I'm wrong and this works much better. But I would like to try that and I will report here (but currently I have no time to play and my current world is just one hour after blue potion, so it takes a while).

Assume you want to built an outpost. You go there, preferable with a car, put in some construction bots, and so on and after two or three minutes you can build the first pneumatic requester. You request all the rest of the items like miners, belts, power poles, inserters, and after 10 minutes your outpost is working, the mines produce a lot of ore and it is put then into chests, which should be transported back to the main base by train or so.

At this point you can also transport back anything else:
- alien eggs, that you won
- wood, which was in the way
- all types of ores, not only one
- coal
- ... and of course also the empty pneumatic capsules.

At the target station you can unload everything and sort it with the logistic bots into the right directions.

This way (transport everything and then sorting) I found to be much more efficient, than transporting every item with specialized trains.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

ssilk wrote:
jorgenRe wrote:
Well, it's your mod, you can do it as you like. :)

I want to explain the original idea: The sense of this "rule" was, that the player doesn't use this system as a new type of mass-transport. It was thought for high-prio, high-speed transport over long distances for very small to small amounts of items. Especially for building stuff in far outposts. And I think it is important to prevent, that it is used for ore-transport for example. :)

But who knows: Maybe I'm wrong and this works much better. But I would like to try that and I will report here (but currently I have no time to play and my current world is just one hour after blue potion, so it takes a while).

Assume you want to built an outpost. You go there, preferable with a car, put in some construction bots, and so on and after two or three minutes you can build the first pneumatic requester. You request all the rest of the items like miners, belts, power poles, inserters, and after 10 minutes your outpost is working, the mines produce a lot of ore and it is put then into chests, which should be transported back to the main base by train or so.

At this point you can also transport back anything else:
- alien eggs, that you won
- wood, which was in the way
- all types of ores, not only one
- coal
- ... and of course also the empty pneumatic capsules.

At the target station you can unload everything and sort it with the logistic bots into the right directions.

This way (transport everything and then sorting) I found to be much more efficient, than transporting every item with specialized trains.
Yea you are prob right ;)
I may have set the amount it could transfer a bit too high :/
And when considering it 1 item every second would be a little more realistic too, though i would need to rewrite some code so that it sends the excact requested items! :)
Edit also i may need to revisit how i want to do with the network creation. I thought maybe i could use the buttons, but il have to look into how buttons work first :/
Logo

Nafen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.11.22]Pneumatic Tubes 0.1.1 [Recipes!]

Post by Nafen »

Without using the mod I will say first of all very good idea of a mod, I often forget items and would be nice to request them when I am not in main base, i.e. building outpost and such

I do agree that there should be a limit on how fast items are sent through or how many items at a time etc.

You could maybe even have different tiers of 'pipe' once you get those implemented. Use different materials: iron - steel - plastic and different sealant types? two i can think of are converting wood to resin then using that for basic pipes and then an oil or plastic based one later on in the tech.

Basic pipes would be slow and only one item at a time and more advanced pipes can do more items and faster. Hey maybe even have different tier of capsules :P

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.22]Pneumatic Tubes 0.1.1 [Recipes!]

Post by jorgenRe »

Nafen wrote:Without using the mod I will say first of all very good idea of a mod, I often forget items and would be nice to request them when I am not in main base, i.e. building outpost and such

I do agree that there should be a limit on how fast items are sent through or how many items at a time etc.

You could maybe even have different tiers of 'pipe' once you get those implemented. Use different materials: iron - steel - plastic and different sealant types? two i can think of are converting wood to resin then using that for basic pipes and then an oil or plastic based one later on in the tech.

Basic pipes would be slow and only one item at a time and more advanced pipes can do more items and faster. Hey maybe even have different tier of capsules :P
yea i was thinking about doing that :)
Though i'm just so into playing Ark: Survival Evolved atm :D
THe thing is that before i can do that i need to rewrite some of the code that sends items and such because the thing is i am a little bit scared to not make this be a super cpu intensive mod(I do not know how far i need to go) But the thing is, i need to take a day or two or more to look into the code and decide upon how i am going to be doing about the upgrading, throughput etc. :)
Edit:
Also i need to go into changing the way that you connect the requester and supplier chests ;)
Logo

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12.0]Pneumatic Tubes 0.2.1

Post by jorgenRe »

Bumping this topic in the hope that it will be moved to the 0.12.0 mods section :)
Logo

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

I didn't quite understood what the mod does by reading it, I feel dumb =\

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

SHiRKiT wrote:I didn't quite understood what the mod does by reading it, I feel dumb =\
It basically lets you send resources at a large distance very quickly, but only in smaller quantities ;)!

And it automatically finds out what you are missing at the place you are sending resources too :D!
Logo

SKleen75
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.0] Pneumatic Tubes 0.2.1

Post by SKleen75 »

A nice mod. But there i have one problem.

What are the nodes for?`

I have a supplier and a requester and a connector to connect both. So what do i need the node for?

SKleen75
YuokiTani Fanboy.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.0] Pneumatic Tubes 0.2.1

Post by jorgenRe »

SKleen75 wrote:A nice mod. But there i have one problem.

What are the nodes for?`

I have a supplier and a requester and a connector to connect both. So what do i need the node for?

SKleen75
A node is really just a way to reset the timer(time you have to complete the connection). So that if you got a big distance between the requester and supplieing pnuematic chest. Then you may have to put down a node to give you some extra time ;)!
Logo

SKleen75
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.6]Pneumatic Tubes 0.2.1

Post by SKleen75 »

Aaaaha!

Ok. Next question. :)

So there is one requester for one supplier? Or can i connect several supplier to one requester?

I would like that, because that way i could use the first supplier to put capsules into, the second to put pipes into and the third then is for the actual sending of things. All without further manual work.
(I hope my inane mumbling makes any sense to you).
YuokiTani Fanboy.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.6]Pneumatic Tubes 0.2.1

Post by jorgenRe »

SKleen75 wrote:Aaaaha!

Ok. Next question. :)

So there is one requester for one supplier? Or can i connect several supplier to one requester?

I would like that, because that way i could use the first supplier to put capsules into, the second to put pipes into and the third then is for the actual sending of things. All without further manual work.
(I hope my inane mumbling makes any sense to you).
Hmm that do sound like a good thing because that would make it a little easier to keep the supplier chest tidy :)

But as you asked first you can connect multiple suppliers to a single requester.
Logo

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.11+]Pneumatic Tubes[0.2.2] 16th October

Post by jorgenRe »

Multi surface compatible, and compatible with 0.12.11+ :D!
Logo

Return to “Mods”