Oil <> Train

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
DRBLN
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Oil <> Train

Post by DRBLN »

is it possible to transport oil via train somehow?

Goddohando
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Oil <> Train

Post by Goddohando »

Oil barrels.

DRBLN
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRBLN »

So, are the barrels available in the game?

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

DRBLN wrote:So, are the barrels available in the game?
Yes, you make them out of steel then load them up in a chemical plant hooked up to your crude oil supply with "Fill crude oil" or something to that effect and it'll fill them up for transport. It's really not very efficient though just so you know. I don't think the barrels actually hold that much oil.

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

Barrels hold 10 units of crude oil and stack up to 8. You get the barrel back when you empty it at the destination chemical plant, so efficiency isn't that bad. It is a fairly fast process and can be expanded easily with additional chemical plants.

Goddohando
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Goddohando »

Honestly, I just don't see the point in using trains at all... especially for transporting oil.
Building pipe line is so much cheaper and easier.
Maybe it would be worth it if your oil source is reeeeeeealy far away.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yeah. And I'm sure it will. Think to something where you need 2 minutes to drive to with the train.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Tami
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tami »

Trains are made for deliver huge amounts of goods for a very far distance.

Reygan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Reygan »

Hm. What if i am the train fan? And i want to transport my oil by trains indeed.
And what about tank-wagon? It will be more adequate then transporting oil in barrels in cargo wagons. By the way, in tank-wagon trains could transport any luquid, not only crude oil.
Daniel V. Lenskiy

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I see a big problem with wagons for fluids only: they can take only one type of fluid. So they can be used for another fluid only, if they are empty.
But this is in discrepancy to the use, most players would like to use it for!

Reygan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Reygan »

ssilk wrote:I see a big problem with wagons for fluids only: they can take only one type of fluid.
I am not sure, that understood you corretly. But why "one type liquid at time"-thing is "big problem"? Real tankwagons can contain one type of liquid at time too.
Daniel V. Lenskiy

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

You need to empty them completely, before you can fill in new things.

Because so many problems pop up:
- if the tanks at target station are full, we cannot do that
- we have currently no mechanism to see, if a wagon is empty,
- and which.
- what should happen, if I fill in another type of liquid in a non-empty wagon?
- and some more questions into this direction...

Or in other words: everything is easier, if you can use a wagon only for one type of liquid. The wagons are fixed to the type of liquid. Or the fixation happens, when first filled up. In my eyes this is a strong limitation of the usefulness.

Another option is, that we have advanced logistics, that we are able to fill exactly the needed amount into a wagon, that it can be emptied at the target. But how complex is that? And when will it be implemented?

And I don't see any problem with the barrels. I like this filling and emptying, the complex logistic behind it, it makes fun and enables crude strategies, which are not possible with tank-wagons.

What we currently need here is to handle with the information/complex logistics about far train stations/storages - I've written some articles about it. And when that works well, yes, THEN we can try tank-wagons.

Reygan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Reygan »

ssilk wrote:You need to empty them completely, before you can fill in new things.

Because so many problems pop up:
- if the tanks at target station are full, we cannot do that
- we have currently no mechanism to see, if a wagon is empty,
- and which.
- what should happen, if I fill in another type of liquid in a non-empty wagon?
- and some more questions into this direction...

Or in other words: everything is easier, if you can use a wagon only for one type of liquid. The wagons are fixed to the type of liquid. Or the fixation happens, when first filled up. In my eyes this is a strong limitation of the usefulness.

Another option is, that we have advanced logistics, that we are able to fill exactly the needed amount into a wagon, that it can be emptied at the target. But how complex is that? And when will it be implemented?

And I don't see any problem with the barrels. I like this filling and emptying, the complex logistic behind it, it makes fun and enables crude strategies, which are not possible with tank-wagons.

What we currently need here is to handle with the information/complex logistics about far train stations/storages - I've written some articles about it. And when that works well, yes, THEN we can try tank-wagons.
Ok, in other words tankwagons should act like usual tank, but problem is in some kind of "liquid inserters" for that type of wagon.

In my opinion, barrels is unnecessary intermediate node in liquid transportation in wagons, ant it was made to solve that problem for now.

Any way, thank you for so detailed response :)
Daniel V. Lenskiy

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yes, but don't mix me up with the devs. I'm just a member of the forum, like you, and what I'm saying is in most cases good guess, what the devs might think. :)

Reygan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Reygan »

ssilk wrote:Yes, but don't mix me up with the devs. I'm just a member of the forum, like you, and what I'm saying is in most cases good guess, what the devs might think. :)
Yes, i know, for example devs have "alien-artifact" neat avater, instead of inserter :)
Daniel V. Lenskiy

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

Theoretically, what would you do differently if you could put 2+ types of fluid in a tank wagon?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

How do you know, which one to remove then? I mean, ok, theoretically you need a filter pipe, like a filter inserter. But practically this is ridiculous. :)
Ok, another solution is, to say, this is not one wagon with two tanks, this is two tanks on one wagon. The pipe connects to the nearest tank. Would work more or less. In curves this might not work, the distance shifts too strong. But I think this isn't a good game element.

Reygan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Reygan »

immibis wrote:Theoretically, what would you do differently if you could put 2+ types of fluid in a tank wagon?
I wonder at so big discussion about that quite simple wagon :mrgreen: Try to put 2+ types of fluid in a usual tank, and look. So behavior should be for tank wagon, I think, there are nothing to invent.
Daniel V. Lenskiy

Malacodor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Malacodor »

Wagons could have several tanks, exactly as many as they have inventory slots, that would solve the mixing problem. And for emptying them pumps could be upgraded to smart pumps.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

As long, as it is unclear, how filling/emptying of a tank wagon can work, I would say it makes no sense to discuss that. :)

Return to “Gameplay Help”