[0.11.11+] FARL 0.2.8 (Rail Layer)

The raillayer; must have, if you want to play with railway.

Moderator: Choumiko

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: FARL 0.1.3 (Rail Layer) [0.11.11+]

Post by Choumiko »

Xterminator wrote:This looks awesome! I will definitely be using it in my current play through. :D

2 questions though, both are probably dumb but oh well haha
1. For the auto placing of signals, how does it know when/where to place them so that they are actually useful?
2. In the GUI, what does the setting for "weight of curved rail" do?

Thanks, and sorry if they are silly questions haha :D
That questions came up when FARL was still in the WIP section too, should have linked it in the OP i guess :)
Choumiko wrote:distance influences the amount of rail pieces (curved or straight) between each signal.
Basically it works like this: (X being Weight of curved rail, Y being distance between rails

Code: Select all

while FARL is placing rails:
  place one piece of rail
  increase signaldistance by 1 for straight rail or by X for curved rail
  if signaldistance > Y then place a signal
  set signaldistance to 0
end
Hope this answers your question, it does not check if the signal makes sense or not, it simply counts upwards and places a signal.
That's it, simply counting, placing, not caring if it makes sense or not. Automatic signal placing is mainly intended for long long one way tracks without junctions.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.11+] FARL 0.1.3 (Rail Layer)

Post by Airat9000 »

bug

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.11+] FARL 0.1.3 (Rail Layer)

Post by Choumiko »

It should be fixed with the new version. At least you should not get an error.

FARL 0.1.4
Changes
  • bug fixes
    cruisecontrol decelerates the train when rail placing is activated and the train is too fast

Wenihal
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [0.11.11+] FARL 0.1.4 (Rail Layer)

Post by Wenihal »

Bug (FARL 0.1.4): I clicked start button while locomotive was slowly moving.

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

Can you maybe consider renaming the mod to "Fully Automatic Rail-Thrower" ? thx :)

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

XyLe wrote:Can you maybe consider renaming the mod to "Fully Automatic Rail-Thrower" ? thx :)
:D :D I was looking for a word with T that makes some sort of sense, guess you found it :mrgreen:
Wenihal wrote:Bug (FARL 0.1.4): I clicked start button while locomotive was slowly moving.
Will fix it in the next version. You can still start if it is not moving? If you get these kind of errors again: Try pressing Escape, if the window disappears, leave the train and get in again.

Right now i'm working on making it find a path to a destination you choose and then go there on its own. The go there on its own actually works already, you'll only need to create something like this:

Code: Select all

{
  {pos={x=83,y=9}, input=0},
  {pos={x=107,y=-9}, input=0},
  {pos={x=110,y=-14}, input=0},
  {pos={x=110,y=-22}, input=0},
  {pos={x=85,y=-29}, input=1}
}
Not very practical yet ;)

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

Choumiko wrote:Right now i'm working on making it find a path to a destination you choose and then go there on its own. The go there on its own actually works already, you'll only need to create something like this:
Maybe you can recycle something from my A* - code? (It's in the very same thread you linked in the OP)

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

Choumiko wrote:
XyLe wrote:Can you maybe consider renaming the mod to "Fully Automatic Rail-Thrower" ? thx :)
:D :D I was looking for a word with T that makes some sort of sense, guess you found it :mrgreen:
keke, yeah, it's kinda tricky!

I have a couple of questions actually, if you'll be so kind:

1) why does it only work with big electric poles? it's so sad, i like having lights everywhere and to make it so i need smaller electric poles. Can you please also consider making it possible? maybe it could be done with priorities? like if there are big poles - use big poles. if there are only smaller poles - then use smaller poles?

2) i haven't tested it yet but i know for sure that fart replaces the trees on its way with rail and puts the logs in wagons. that's absolutely awesome!

but what does it do if there's a tree or a rock in a place where a new electric pole is supposed to go? does it replace that tree/rock with a new pole?

thank you very much! the mod is super-cool! :) good luck keeping it up!

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

drs9999 wrote:Maybe you can recycle something from my A* - code? (It's in the very same thread you linked in the OP)
I already played with it a little (added diagonal travel), very nice work! Once i finish reading Amit’s A* Pages (graph theory can really be interesting :) ) i'll play with it some more.
Xyle wrote: 1) why does it only work with big electric poles? it's so sad, i like having lights everywhere and to make it so i need smaller electric poles. Can you please also consider making it possible? maybe it could be done with priorities? like if there are big poles - use big poles. if there are only smaller poles - then use smaller poles?

2) i haven't tested it yet but i know for sure that fart replaces the trees on its way with rail and puts the logs in wagons. that's absolutely awesome!

but what does it do if there's a tree or a rock in a place where a new electric pole is supposed to go? does it replace that tree/rock with a new pole?

thank you very much! the mod is super-cool! :) good luck keeping it up!
1) Mainly because big poles are what i would use (if i ever stop modding and start playing again) Adding small/medium poles is no problem at all, I'll add it to my todo list
2) farL (not renamed yet :D ) removes trees/rocks whenever it needs to place something
Glad you enjoy it!

Wenihal
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Wenihal »

Choumiko wrote:
Wenihal wrote:Bug (FARL 0.1.4): I clicked start button while locomotive was slowly moving.
You can still start if it is not moving?
When not moving everything works ok.
Choumiko wrote:Will fix it in the next version.
Thanks !! :)

ddayver
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ddayver »

Removing the locomotive off the rails:
I use Google translator

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.11+] FARL 0.1.5 (Rail Layer)

Post by Choumiko »

New version: FARL 0.1.5

Changes:
  • fixed the reported errors
    FARL can now place medium poles (toggle in settings window), it's off by default
The placement of medium poles is a bit wasteful, since it places them to close together, but in this way you get even more lamps along your tracks :D (will improve it in one of the next releases)

Wenihal
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Wenihal »

Suggestion: connect poles with red/green wires option (with on/off in settings).

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

Wenihal wrote:Suggestion: connect poles with red/green wires option (with on/off in settings).
I might add it in, though it starts to feel like there is too much autoplacing going on. On the other hand, connecting wires over hundreds of tiles is as boring as placing tracks.

Right now i'm more or less jumping in circles, as my pathfinding is starting to work:
directionalAstar.jpg
directionalAstar.jpg (372.56 KiB) Viewed 11631 times
These tracks where created by placing the start and end track and then calling a console command with the starting direction and desired arriving direction, rest was done by the script. Pretty awesome :D

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

Excellent I like fashion, is another question, he will lay down electric railways?

Vitduo
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Vitduo »

Is the mod translateable? If not, could the author move GUI inscriptions to script-locales?

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

That's damn impressive. It's a worthy successor to the original mod.

XyLe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XyLe »

Choumiko wrote:
Wenihal wrote:Suggestion: connect poles with red/green wires option (with on/off in settings).
I might add it in, though it starts to feel like there is too much autoplacing going on. On the other hand, connecting wires over hundreds of tiles is as boring as placing tracks.
i dont understand why you'd wanna have red/green wires there. When i suggested to have smaller poles as an option i had to explain myself why i wanted this. That guy here didn't bother to make it clear.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

Airat9000 wrote:Excellent I like fashion, is another question, he will lay down electric railways?
Not yet, but once i have the features in that i want, i will start looking into making it possible
Vitduo wrote:Is the mod translateable? If not, could the author move GUI inscriptions to script-locales?
I'll add it in one of the next versions

Thanks Degraine :)

I'm thinking about how i want the FARL to tell where it needs to go, current idea:
- A drone with a certain range (like the drone in AlphaMod), you start it by placing/using a special item, you then get swiched to the drones view and can move X chunks in any direction, place a (fake) rail and that's the destination for the FARL. It would then calculate the path, the required ressources and start driving once a path is found and it has enough materials.
Other ideas how it could work are highly appreciated ;)
XyLe wrote:i dont understand why you'd wanna have red/green wires there.
It's pretty clear to me, he has a mining/factory outpost connected by train to his main base and wants that outpost to work/not work depending on item amounts in his main base. Before starting this mod i wanted something similar (main base only prducing repair packs when different outposts are low on them) and abadoned the idea because of how dull the required work to connect them all was.
Have you been placing medium poles yet? It's a bit wastefull since the connection distance is uneven and the logic places them only at the first tile of rails, which leads to an even distance between them. Might be more efficient if i also enable small poles, since they have an even range and are cheaper.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

Choumiko wrote:Other ideas how it could work are highly appreciated
Place a station with a single track where you want the automatic track placer to end, name the station as you want it to be, start FARL and select the station by name or from a list, off yer go.
Position and orientation comes from the station as they have a direction when tracks are left/right of them.

However I'm not into LUA and not into the Factorio API so I'm not sure if this makes sense at all :D

Return to “F.A.R.L”