[0.10.6] GUI brightness error (can't reproduce)

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
robinde67
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.10.6] GUI brightness error (can't reproduce)

Post by robinde67 »

It could just be because my laptop was on battery, or it could be because I was playing around with the new light render quality gauge. Either way, I can't seem to reproduce it right now. The bug caused the GUI to become brighter during nighttime (same time as the lamps turn on) and return to normal during daytime (when the lamps turn off). The only settings I remember changing before it disappeared was changing the number of threads from 2 to 4, and Light Render quality from default to 1.0 to 0.19 (threads was the last setting I changed). The mods I used then was Treefarm [1.1.6] and Fmod [1.10.5].

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.10.6] GUI brightness error (can't reproduce)

Post by slpwnd »

Interesting. GUI is rendered completely separately from the rest. Therefore it's brightness should not have anything in common with the daytime in game or light render quality settings. Even less with the number of threads or mods present.

Couldn't it be just a visual illusion? When everything else is dark then the constant color of the gui seems brighter and vice versa. Anyway, could anyone else reproduce this?

robinde67
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.10.6] GUI brightness error (can't reproduce)

Post by robinde67 »

It hasn't happened since, so it might've been my GPU that acted up because it was running on battery (being a laptop, it sometimes change the active GPU from the dedicated to the integrated when on battery). But I'm 100% sure it wasn't an illusion, I had noticed the GUI was painfully bright during nighttime (as in, I could barely see what items I had in my inventory) and normal during daytime, so I watched the lamps to see when "night" started to see if it was related, the lamps start quite some time before it gets dark outside, I noticed that immediately when the lamp started, it was like the GUI (including the quickbar) suddenly had been lit up by a lamp. Just to confirm it, I patiently waited for when the lamp turned off, and the GUI went back to normal the same instant.

For reference, my integrated GPU is Intel HD 4000, driver version 8.15.10.2653 (2012-02-14), and the dedicated GPU is Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M driver version 340.52 (2014-07-29).
Until it happens again, I'm just gonna assume it was my integrated GPU that got switched to, and that the switch must've messed something up in the VRAM.

Return to “1 / 0 magic”